Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: quick ? hopefully - how to exit from "Manual Page"

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    etherworld
    Posts
    92

    quick ? hopefully - how to exit from "Manual Page"

    hi;
    When dropping to Root (CTRL + ALT +F1) and using the man mount command to view the manual contents for the "mount" command (Linux Programmers Manual).....once I've reached the end Line (969?) - I can get back to X using ALT + F5 no problem, but can NOT figure how to exit the man area and Move on to another command -- everytime I press ' m ' I get mark: , any letter entered after that seems to jump to the 1st instance on the page viewed.

    I have tried ' ESC ' and all i get is ESC_ and nothin after that , I've tried all forms of CTRL + ? and ALT + ?

    Why can't I get back to the prompt while dropped to root ?

    what I see exactly is this;
    Manual page mount(8) line 919/969 (END)_ and it's all highlighted in grayish, with a blinking cursor, just sitting there mocking me

    thanks in advance

    *edit;
    Well it seems after trying CTRL + ALT +F2 or CTRL + ALT + F3 .....these return me to Root prompt, only after ALT + F5 back to X, and then ctrl+alt+f2/3 does the trick. I still would like to know how to "end" the man command from viewing like that, if possible

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    159
    Try "q" (for quit). Man pages can also be viewed within konqueror using the "man:" pseudo-protocol (try "man: mount" in the address bar)

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    etherworld
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by kirol
    Try "q" (for quit). Man pages can also be viewed within konqueror using the "man:" pseudo-protocol (try "man: mount" in the address bar)
    hi;
    I'll try ' q ' (but I think I already did - and it jumped to nearest word with q in it) - I know I tried ' quit ' and ' exit '

    I know about Konquerer's man:/ protocol and pages - thanks, I was doing something as root (I think I booted as ' knoppix 2' for runlevel2), and wanted to quickly see some info about the mount command, figuring I could easily return to my task -- heck, I forgot what it is that I was doing, b/c I got stuck and that consumed all my energy/focus.


    If anyone gets a chance - give it a shot and then get out of it, and let me know how you did it plz - thanks

    *edit
    YES ... ' q ' by itelf works fine ..thanks for that - I tried it when booted into ' knoppix 2' - and also when switching back and forth when booted fully to the KDE desktop and using ctrl+alt+f2 (and/or f3 and f4) to get to root and then alt+f5 to return to X11. Weird that ctrl+alt+f1 doesn't display a root@tty[/] prompt - it does show a blinking cursor though, where it left off from when it init.d and loaded KDE (IOW - the initial Boot screen -> Starting X11)
    /*edit

    So...
    after seeing my etc/fstab and etc/inittab files - I thought perhaps I could edit them, but I don't think it's possible in ' cloop ' or ' / ' (remember, booted from LiveCD here). So I looked at my configs.tbz and knoppix.sh files (Saved Knoppix Config) and found etc/fstab and I'd like to edit it. But I found tbz is a funky Tar + B2zip combo or something.

    Tried some funky combos of commands to extract/open the file for editing;
    /mnt/hda8
    (where configs.tbz and knoppix.sh reside - within config.tbz are /etc/fstab and etc/inittab files)

    gunzip --get blah blah blah (I can't recall exactly right now)
    tar --get -N configs.tbz --get fstab (something along those lines)

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    159
    One shouldn't need to mess with configs.tbz. Just edit /etc/fstab the way you want it; then re-save your config. I think this should work as knoppix will auto-build an fstab on next reboot, and then overwrite it with the version extracted from the tbz...

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    etherworld
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by kirol
    One shouldn't need to mess with configs.tbz. Just edit /etc/fstab the way you want it; then re-save your config. I think this should work as knoppix will auto-build an fstab on next reboot, and then overwrite it with the version extracted from the tbz...
    umm... that's what I originally intended to do, but can NOT edit file /etc/fstab -

    error message says;

    "The document could not be saved, as it was not possible to write to file:/etc/fstab.
    Check that you have write access to this file or that enough disc space is available."

    * no permission
    * won't save any changes
    * which /etc/fstab do you mean (<- there are atleast 3 of them)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-11-2007, 06:30 PM
  2. Error in page "Mirror list on the official site."
    By minifat in forum Knoppix DVD
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-18-2005, 08:51 PM
  3. RFP: Docs "banner" on frontpage/page-header?
    By Henk Poley in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-30-2003, 06:53 AM
  4. "Foreign" drive formats and "dd" command
    By geebee2000 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-21-2003, 07:29 PM
  5. Locate Knoppix "group" in "K" menu
    By Juny in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1694.85



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



External SSD 1TB 2TB  Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$15.99



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$441.77



Acer Aspire 16 16

Acer Aspire 16 16" Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V S2 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Arc Refurbished

$519.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



WD_BLACK SN770 1TB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe Gen4 picture

WD_BLACK SN770 1TB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe Gen4

$145.99