I had the same problem on an Asus P4P800 SE. I fixed my problem by disabling IDE enhanced performance in BIOS under IDE Configuration on main screen
Hope this helps!
I've booted Knoppix v3.8.2-2005.05.05EN on my laptop (A Dell Inspiron 8100) without problem. When I tried it on my desktop I got:
hdd: cdrom_pc_intr: The drive appears confused (ireason=0x01)
irq 18: nobody cared!
handlers:
[<c02356d8] (ide_intr+0x0/0x120)
[<c02356d8] (ide_intr+0x0/0x120)
Disabling IRQ #18
Welcome to the Knoppix live-linux on CD
Scanning for USB/firewire devices...... done
Can't find Knoppix filesystem, sorry.
Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
Press reset button to quit.
Additional built-in commands available:
cat mount umount
insmod rmmod lsmod
etc, etc, etc.
The motherboard is an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe, with a P4/2.6 GHz processor and 1024 Mb of RAM.
Any help with diagnosing would be appreciated
Cheers
Greg
I had the same problem on an Asus P4P800 SE. I fixed my problem by disabling IDE enhanced performance in BIOS under IDE Configuration on main screen
Hope this helps!

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95
Cisco 8861 Gigabit IP Phone Phone 5-line business-class VoIP Wifi Bluetooth
$39.99
SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP
$400.00
Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99
Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00
Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H
$19.99
10x LOT: New in Box Cisco CP-7821-K9 VOIP Business Phones w/ Handsets + Stands
$795.00
Yealink SIP-T54W 16-Line Color Display Business VoIP Phone Bluetooth Wi-Fi PoE
$60.00
Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth
$49.95
Yealink SIP-T46S IP Phone - Black
$20.00