Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: kde hanging with new user

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3

    kde hanging with new user

    I've remastered Knoppix 3.9 to use xdm at boot and authenticate users via ldap. User home directories are mounted with autofs over nfs. Everything works fine if I start knoppix with desktop=icewm, but with kde I'm running into problems. When I try and start a program like konsole it will freeze just before the prompt is displayed. I also have the sshd running. When I try and login after konsole is locked, I'm able to put in my username and password, then it hangs. However, if I ssh in before the user logs into xdm, it works fine. Some programs continue to work fine though, like the konqueror browser. Everything works fine if I log in as the knoppix user, which I have given a password.

    I'm at a loss. Any ideas? Thanks.

  2. #2
    This sounds like it is having trouble mounting the home directories for the LDAP users. You will probably want to check your autofs config.

    HTH,
    Jacob

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3
    I just changed the home directory to point to /tmp/username, and still the same problem. Also xterm and konsole work fine in IceWM.

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    hmm... Sorry. I guess I don't know enough about KDE and LDAP then.

    Jacob

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3
    Turns out it was kmix that was causing things to hang. I removed /usr/bin/kmix and did a ln -s /bin/true /usr/bin/kmix, now things work fine.

Similar Threads

  1. Hanging during HDD install
    By ecop77 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-28-2005, 10:24 PM
  2. Hanging during boot-up...
    By mmelzer2004 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-08-2005, 02:28 AM
  3. Hanging during boot
    By blue raven in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-04-2005, 05:44 PM
  4. xdm hanging
    By bobalex in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-30-2004, 12:27 AM
  5. hanging with USB-harddrives
    By robk in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-05-2003, 10:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW picture

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW

$13.89



LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to... picture

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...

$162.04



Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe picture

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe

$53.99



2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM picture

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM

$37.99



US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits picture

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits

$13.89



MAYKU FormBox Desktop Vacuum Forming Machine W / Starter Kit picture

MAYKU FormBox Desktop Vacuum Forming Machine W / Starter Kit

$399.00



2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower picture

2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower

$16.99



Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H picture

Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H

$104.98



Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles picture

Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles

$53.99



Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery picture

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery

$107.67