Have you tried running alsaconf?
Are alsa modules loaded? They are the snd... ones in lsmod
What does cat /proc/asound/cards say?
Have you pumped up volumes with kmix and alsamixer ?
How to get my soundcard working with Knoppix 3.9?
When I run sndconfig I get an error message saying there is no modular sound enabled.
What is wrong?
0000:02:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI (rev 02)
Subsystem: Ensoniq Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI128
Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 32
I/O ports at b800 [disabled] [size=64]
Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1
----------
Have you tried running alsaconf?
Are alsa modules loaded? They are the snd... ones in lsmod
What does cat /proc/asound/cards say?
Have you pumped up volumes with kmix and alsamixer ?
OK alsaconf is the solution.
It works well.
Many thanks.
Do I have to run alsaconf after every reboot or is the sound system set up permanetly now?
Should be permanent, but do a reboot and check. If you used Beginner or Knoppix style hd install, it could be that you have to run it after reboot. In that case I'd suggest adding the command to the end of /etc/bootmisc.sh.
I am using Knoppix style install.
The soundcard setting is not permanent.
There is no file /etc/bootmisc.sh on my hd.
Sorry, but I have absolutely no experience with a knoppix style install. It really works just like the cd, with every change you make disappearing between reboots. I would suggest doing a debian style install unless you have a reason for the knoppix style. Or even better, install debian. If that's too much you can try kanotix

M386A8K40BM2-CTD SAMSUNG 64GB (1X64GB) 4DRX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 SERVER MEMORY TESTED
$350.00
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162)
$36.99
LOT OF 9 Mixer SK Hynix 32GB DDR4-2133 2400T 2933Y Server RAM
$1299.00
2xM393A4G40AB3-CWE SAMSUNG 32GB (1X32GB) 1RX4 PC4-3200AA SERVER MEMORY
$690.00
Sandisk 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB Cruzer Blade Flash Drive Memory Stick USB Lot Pack
$175.90
Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW
$1.39
SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98