Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Not able to login as root after hdinstall

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    New Delhi
    Posts
    4

    Not able to login as root after hdinstall

    Hi,

    After installing Knoppix 3.1 on harddisk, when I boot I get X login prompt and I am able to sucessfully log in as root as well as user knoppix. But when I press <Ctrl><Alt><F1> and then from console try to login as root, I cannot. Please suggest if some changes are required.

    This is the first time I am using debian (or distro based on debian).

    Regards.
    Ajitabh Pandey

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    I would expect that your keyboard (keymap) is not configured the same in console and X.


    rock

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    New Delhi
    Posts
    4
    Yes I found this too, it was a german keyboard layout in console and US in X.

    I used loadkeys -d on console and then I was able to use the keyboard correctly.

    I changed the default layout in console by changing the etc/rc.d/keydefs.sh to reflect the Us layout.

Similar Threads

  1. Cannot login other than root, pls help
    By bsjawle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 05:02 AM
  2. Login as ROOT
    By ackelley in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-12-2005, 11:52 PM
  3. knx-hdinstall does nothing at root console
    By rrfish72 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2004, 04:17 AM
  4. How do root login
    By mienque in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-29-2004, 06:15 AM
  5. login as root? how?
    By Mogiin in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-13-2003, 11:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 8 GT/s LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SR3QS picture

Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 8 GT/s LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SR3QS

$67.99



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Evergreen 586 - Processor upgrade 486 to 586 picture

Evergreen 586 - Processor upgrade 486 to 586

$149.99



Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested* picture

Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested*

$32.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor

$62.95



Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor

$14.49



Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6 picture

Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6

$10.99



LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5 picture

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5

$768.00