Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Recommend A Sound Card?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    149

    Recommend A Sound Card?

    Hi;

    I have very very new hardware. I have knoppix 3.2 (4/15/03 build....it comes with alsa ).

    I haven't had any luck getting the onboard sound to work.

    Can anyone recommend a sound card that I can be very sure will work with Knoppix?

    Steve

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    I take it that you've found the driver for your particular sound card and tried to use it?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Brno, Czech Republic
    Posts
    5

    Re: Recommend A Sound Card?

    Quote Originally Posted by beforewisdom
    I haven't had any luck getting the onboard sound to work.
    Steve
    please execute
    lspci |grep udio

    and write where a result. The card may work when you will specify drivers manually.

    some good cards from cheap to professional:: SB PCI128, SBLIVE, RME Hammerfall
    for list of supported cards see http://www.alsa-project.org/soundcards.php3

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    149
    Hi;

    Here is more information. Sorry about not including it sooner.

    Brand new machine, brand new hardware, about two months old. LOL, I wish someone would have warned me about spanking new hardware and gnu/linux .

    I am using knoppix 3.2 build 4/15/03

    Motherboard: Intel Desktop Board D845PESV
    - it packs a Pentium 4 processor
    - it has onboard sound

    I read the manual( a whole 15 pages ) and there are no specs for the sound component.

    I went to to intel support at
    http://supportmail.intel.com/scripts...come.asp?id=36
    I sent an email request for specs about the onboard sound componenet. A robot sent me back a list of general articles to read

    I ran sndconfig with the following results:
    ------------------------------------------------
    - it said it found a pci card on my system ( I don't think I have a pci bus/device )
    - it said the "card" was: Intel Corp 182801DB AC '97 Audio
    - the sound test failed with the following errors:

    /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/i810_audio.o/
    - no such device
    -insmod failed
    - insmod sound-slot failed
    ------------------------------------------------



    I'm new to debian, have been solving other problems, haven't learned apt-get yet so I ran kpackage and found out that I have the following installed:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - alsa-headers 0.9.2-5
    - knx-alsa 0.1-2
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




    Does this mean that I don't have alsa installed?



    I ran lspci | grep udio and got:
    -----------------------------------
    00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB AC'97 Audio (rev 02)
    02:02.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio Capture (rev 11)
    root@Wisdom:/home/knoppix#

    not much more info that what sndconfig told me I'm afraid.


    So, is there anything else I can try to get the onboard sound working?
    If not please tell me about good sound guards not already mentioned that will be easy to find in a big computer store and that will have the best chance of working with my motherboard and knoppix.

    Thanks in advance for the help

    Steve

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    149

    Do I need a sound card?

    Hi;

    I am wondering if I need to get a sound card.

    I am using Knoppix 3.2 ( 4/15/03 build ).
    The kernel( according to uname -a ) is:
    --------------------------------
    Linux Wisdom 2.4.20-xfs #1 SMP Mit Mär 26 15:37:36 CET 2003 i686 unknown
    unknown GNU/Linux
    -------------------------------

    My mother board is a : Intel Desktop Board D845PESV
    It has onboard sound.

    sndconfig & lspci detects this onboard sound as:
    Intel Corp 182801DB AC '97 Audio
    I think this uses a driver called i810 as snconfig errors indicate that
    it is looking for that driver.

    Here are the sndconfig error messages:
    --------------------------------------
    lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/i810_audio.o:
    init_module: No such device
    ?
    /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/i810_audio.o: insmod
    /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/i810_audio.o failed
    /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/i810_audio.o:
    insmod sound-slot-0 failed
    --------------------------------------

    i810_audio.o is there at the path in the error message.









    Running dpkg reveals that I have these two things:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - alsa-headers 0.9.2-5
    - knx-alsa 0.1-2
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    knx-alsa is a script/package made by the Knoppix folks to install ALSA.


    Running dpkg -L knx-alsa reveals files that
    appear to be also sound drivers, but nothing for Intel
    i810 :

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    /.
    /etc
    /etc/init.d
    /usr
    /usr/sbin
    /usr/sbin/alsa_init
    /usr/share
    /usr/share/doc
    /usr/share/doc/knx-alsa
    /usr/share/doc/knx-alsa/copyright
    /usr/share/doc/knx-alsa/changelog.Debian.gz
    /lib
    /lib/modules
    /lib/modules/extra
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-ac97-codec.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-ad1816a-lib.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-ad1816a.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-ad1848-lib.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-ad1848.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-ainstr-fm.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-ainstr-gf1.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-ainstr-iw.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-ainstr-simple.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-ak4531-codec.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-ali5451.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-als100.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-als4000.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-azt2320.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-azt3328.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-cmi8330.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-cmipci.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-cs4231-lib.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-cs4231.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-cs4232.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-cs4236-lib.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-cs4236.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-cs4281.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-cs46xx.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-cs8427.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-dt019x.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-dummy.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-emu10k1.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-emu10k1-synth.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-emu8000-synth.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-emux-synth.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-ens1370.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-ens1371.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-es1688-lib.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-es1688.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-es18xx.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-es1938.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-es1968.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-es968.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-fm801.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-gusclassic.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-gusextreme.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-gus-lib.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-gusmax.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-gus-synth.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-hammerfall-mem.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-hdsp.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-hwdep.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-i2c.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-ice1712.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-ice1724.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-intel8x0.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-interwave.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-interwave-stb.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-korg1212.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-maestro3.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-mixer-oss.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-mpu401.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-mpu401-uart.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-msnd-pinnacle.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-mtpav.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-nm256.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-opl3-lib.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-opl3sa2.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-opl3-synth.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-opti92x-ad1848.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-opti92x-cs4231.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-opti93x.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-page-alloc.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-pcm.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-pcm-oss.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-pdplus.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-rawmidi.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-rme32.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-rme9652.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-rme96.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-sb16-csp.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-sb16-dsp.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-sb16.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-sb8-dsp.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-sb8.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-sbawe.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-sb-common.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-seq-device.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-seq-dummy.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-seq-instr.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-seq-midi-emul.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-seq-midi-event.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-seq-midi.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-seq.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-seq-oss.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-seq-virmidi.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-serialmidi.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-serial-u16550.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-sgalaxy.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-sonicvibes.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-sscape.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-tea6330t.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-timer.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-trident.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-trident-synth.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-usb-audio.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-util-mem.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-via82xx.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-virmidi.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-vx222.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-vx-lib.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-vxpocket.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-wavefront.o
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-ymfpci.o
    /lib/modules/extra/build
    /lib/modules/extra/kernel
    /lib/modules/extra/modules.dep
    /lib/modules/extra/modules.generic_string
    /lib/modules/extra/modules.ieee1394map
    /lib/modules/extra/modules.isapnpmap
    /lib/modules/extra/modules.parportmap
    /lib/modules/extra/modules.pcimap
    /lib/modules/extra/modules.pnpbiosmap
    /lib/modules/extra/modules.usbmap
    /lib/modules/extra/net
    /lib/modules/extra/pcmcia
    /lib/modules/extra/usb
    /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

    However the ALSA seems to indicate that alsa supports the intel i810
    driver:
    http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/


    I thought that maybe my ALSA install doesn't have all of the latest ALSA
    drivers so I went to a download site:
    ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver

    the most modern driver package was dated March 19th 2003:
    alsa-driver-0.9.2.tar.bz2

    Again, no files with "i810"


    So, my question is there anyting I can do to make my onboard sound
    work or do I need to buy a real sound card?
    ( I did google )

    If so, am I safe buying one of the Sound Blaster cards?

    I'm a newbie, if you don't assume mountains of tech/hardware knowledge
    in your answer I will be greatful

    Thanks in advance

    Steve

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan USA
    Posts
    199

    Re: Recommend A Sound Card?

    Quote Originally Posted by beforewisdom
    Can anyone recommend a sound card...
    The best overall value is a Creative SoundBlaster Live! You can get these for as little as $30 if you find an OEM version at a trade show or from a system builder. Another advantage to an OEM card is that the software Creative bundles with the full versions is all for Windows, anyway.

    The SoundBlaster PCI 64 and PCI 128 are older designs (from 1997). They work, but not as well as the Live! series, which multitask better -- Creative bought Ensoniq mostly for their patents.

    It's a good idea to get away from the AC '97 codec, anyway. It uses a lot of CPU power to make audio -- even with a fast processor, it's a waste of resources. AC '97 is to a sound card as a WinModem is to a real hardware modem, with none of the advantages.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    Sound blaster 16 $20

    Sound blaster 128 $22

    Sound blaster live w/dolbydigital5.1 $33

    Sound blaster Audigy with 1394 port (OEM) $64

    Sound blaster Audigy2 (bulk OEM) $78

    Where? you ask?


    Here: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...tby=14&order=1

    Your welcome

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    149

    Re: Recommend A Sound Card?

    Quote Originally Posted by Loper
    Quote Originally Posted by beforewisdom
    Can anyone recommend a sound card...
    The best overall value is a Creative SoundBlaster Live!

    It's a good idea to get away from the AC '97 codec, anyway. It uses a lot of CPU power to make audio -- even with a fast processor, it's a waste of resources. AC '97 is to a sound card as a WinModem is to a real hardware modem, with none of the advantages.
    Thanks for the good advice

    I bought a Sound Blaster Live 5.1

    I got it for about $50

    I *still* can't get sound from knoppix, but I will bring that up in another thread

    Oy!

    Steve

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    149

    Got sound working

    I took the box into the shop to verify that I installed my sound card ( SoundBlaster Live 5.1 ) correctly.

    A unix technician there said that some linux distros don't have "plug and play" and that if you install new hardware the system might not detect it.

    He gave up at first, but he claims that he found a script on the machine called "hwConfig". After he ran it and rebooted the machine sound was enabled.

    Steve

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Normandie (France)
    Posts
    31

    Does SBlive "sing" in live mode?

    Hi !

    I'd like to know if (and so how) your card SBlive works on knoppix in livecd mode....

    I can't make it works with knoppix 3.2 although i've tried knoppix alsa at boot time...

    I've so another machine which has a Terratec sound card: i've find its module at ALSA
    website (snd_ice1712) but this is the same pbm::>no sound although it was detected

    Nb:"modprobe: can't locate module sound-slot-0 insmod
    Note:/etc/modules.conf is more recent than /opt/kernel/modules.dep
    Aumix: erreur lors de l'ouverture du mixeur in french... knoppix lang=fr at boot time

    Ps: I don't know if this topic is in the right place, may the "boss" move it in a better one...

    Thanks a lot !

    A bientot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The sound card is detected, but no sound.
    By rahoo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-22-2005, 09:36 AM
  2. Glitchy sound with SB Live Value sound card
    By Iost in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-26-2004, 02:47 AM
  3. Recommend 2.5" USB HD case?
    By arpha in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 02:34 AM
  4. SOund card fun:Sound Blaster Audigy OEM also Radeon 9600Pro
    By Battousai in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-08-2004, 10:17 PM
  5. recommend external 56k modem?
    By agency in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-14-2003, 07:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID picture

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID

$24.43



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00