-
Junior Member
registered user
Knoppix 3.7 Installed to HD; HOWTO Upgrade to Knoppix 3.9?
A while back I installed Knoppix 3.7 on my hard-drive. Since then I've trimmed down what was installed and I've been doing apt-get update/upgrade. When I boot it still says Knoppix 3.7 for the splash screen. I have the Knoppix 3.9 Live-CD. I wonder where I am with having done the apt-get update/upgrades for a while versus the Knoppix 3.9 Live-CD. Am I close to having an equivalent to Knoppix 3.9 Live-CD on my hard-drive now? If so, then how might I take the last step to get the Knoppix 3.9 spash screen onto my hard-drive (for asthetic reasons) or how might I use the Knoppix Live-CD to update my system without completely wiping out my hard-drive (I want to save /home at least and a few scattered files)?
--Joel
-
Senior Member
registered user
It's difficult to know where you're up to: and does it really matter?
It's been said many times here, but once you install to HD, you end up with Debian (OK, it's a hodge podge of various Debian trees, but it's Debian).
You can use apt-get to update everything (except the kernel): you'll find a brief, but important series of hints on how to do it at the very top of your
# /etc/apt/sources.list for Knoppix
# If you want to do a "full upgrade", you should first
# upgrade the Packages from Debian/unstable (KDE & Co.)
# before doing a (dist-)upgrade for Debian/testing.
# See sources.list(5) for more information, especialy
# Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file URIs
# CDROMs are managed through the apt-cdrom tool.
Personally, I'd use apt-spy to point everything at unstable, then do apt-get update, then grab the Kde stuff, then do a dist upgrade.
If all goes well, you'll have the equivalent of a Kanotix HD install (but with different packages) except that you'll have the old kernel. So you'll need to grab the kernel sources and rebuild it.
if that's too much hastle, I'd recommend you save your /home and (maybe) /var, do a HD install of Kanotix (which is way more suitable for a HD install than Knoppix, create the same users that you have now and copy the /var and /home directories back over. (You may have to fiddle with permissions, but it's no big deal.) You'll then have a more modern kernel, an install that uses only unstable packages (and is therefore less likely to break with apt-get) and may have a different splash screen.
I can't work out the splash screen stuff -- my HD install is from a 3.6 Knoppix (but is the Debian flash screen).
Similar Threads
-
By firnsy in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 56
Last Post: 09-11-2009, 01:52 PM
-
By param85047 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-03-2006, 03:31 PM
-
By Kakarott2003 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-12-2005, 06:48 PM
-
By waellinux in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-27-2005, 06:34 AM
-
By Hydralisk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 44
Last Post: 06-01-2005, 05:47 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$95.00

Apple Mac Pro (A1186, "8Core" 2007)Xeon X5365-4GB Ram 1TB HDD OS XLeopard NVIDIA
$274.99

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$175.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF
$435.99

Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD
$179.99

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (LGA 1151)
$189.99

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor….
$309.99

Dell Latitude 7400 Laptop 14" Intel Core [email protected] 8GB RAM 256GB SSD
$169.00

HP RP9 G1 9015 Core i5-6500TE 8GB 256GB AiO POS Retail System w PA
$275.00