Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Knoppix 3.7 Installed to HD; HOWTO Upgrade to Knoppix 3.9?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    24

    Knoppix 3.7 Installed to HD; HOWTO Upgrade to Knoppix 3.9?

    A while back I installed Knoppix 3.7 on my hard-drive. Since then I've trimmed down what was installed and I've been doing apt-get update/upgrade. When I boot it still says Knoppix 3.7 for the splash screen. I have the Knoppix 3.9 Live-CD. I wonder where I am with having done the apt-get update/upgrades for a while versus the Knoppix 3.9 Live-CD. Am I close to having an equivalent to Knoppix 3.9 Live-CD on my hard-drive now? If so, then how might I take the last step to get the Knoppix 3.9 spash screen onto my hard-drive (for asthetic reasons) or how might I use the Knoppix Live-CD to update my system without completely wiping out my hard-drive (I want to save /home at least and a few scattered files)?

    --Joel

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    It's difficult to know where you're up to: and does it really matter?

    It's been said many times here, but once you install to HD, you end up with Debian (OK, it's a hodge podge of various Debian trees, but it's Debian).

    You can use apt-get to update everything (except the kernel): you'll find a brief, but important series of hints on how to do it at the very top of your

    # /etc/apt/sources.list for Knoppix
    # If you want to do a "full upgrade", you should first
    # upgrade the Packages from Debian/unstable (KDE & Co.)
    # before doing a (dist-)upgrade for Debian/testing.

    # See sources.list(5) for more information, especialy
    # Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file URIs
    # CDROMs are managed through the apt-cdrom tool.

    Personally, I'd use apt-spy to point everything at unstable, then do apt-get update, then grab the Kde stuff, then do a dist upgrade.

    If all goes well, you'll have the equivalent of a Kanotix HD install (but with different packages) except that you'll have the old kernel. So you'll need to grab the kernel sources and rebuild it.

    if that's too much hastle, I'd recommend you save your /home and (maybe) /var, do a HD install of Kanotix (which is way more suitable for a HD install than Knoppix, create the same users that you have now and copy the /var and /home directories back over. (You may have to fiddle with permissions, but it's no big deal.) You'll then have a more modern kernel, an install that uses only unstable packages (and is therefore less likely to break with apt-get) and may have a different splash screen.

    I can't work out the splash screen stuff -- my HD install is from a 3.6 Knoppix (but is the Debian flash screen).

Similar Threads

  1. HOWTO: Customising/Upgrading the Kernel - An Evolving HowTo
    By firnsy in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 09-11-2009, 01:52 PM
  2. Knoppix Succesfully installed but grub installed in root
    By param85047 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-03-2006, 03:31 PM
  3. sound-, grafik- and upgrade problem on installed knoppix
    By Kakarott2003 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-12-2005, 06:48 PM
  4. howto upgrade the kernel
    By waellinux in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-27-2005, 06:34 AM
  5. HOWTO: Upgrade to Debian Unstable
    By Hydralisk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 06-01-2005, 05:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac picture

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac

$90.00



Apple Power Macintosh 6100/60AV M1596 Vintage picture

Apple Power Macintosh 6100/60AV M1596 Vintage

$129.99



Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read picture

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read

$295.00



Vintage 1988 Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Computer Keyboard WORKING See Video picture

Vintage 1988 Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Computer Keyboard WORKING See Video

$225.00



Vtg Apple Macintosh SE SuperDrive (FDHD) Computer Boots to Desktop Sold AS IS picture

Vtg Apple Macintosh SE SuperDrive (FDHD) Computer Boots to Desktop Sold AS IS

$140.00



Vintage Retro Apple Logic Board MAC IIFX 661-0522 820-0282-B 1990 Motherboard + picture

Vintage Retro Apple Logic Board MAC IIFX 661-0522 820-0282-B 1990 Motherboard +

$399.95



Apple Macintosh SE Vintage Desktop Computer Model M5010 Apple Macintosh SE picture

Apple Macintosh SE Vintage Desktop Computer Model M5010 Apple Macintosh SE

$99.99



APPLE MACINTOSH SE M5011 1986 VINTAGE DESKTOP COMPUTER POWERS ON DISPLAY WORKS picture

APPLE MACINTOSH SE M5011 1986 VINTAGE DESKTOP COMPUTER POWERS ON DISPLAY WORKS

$159.99



Pyramid Phase III SWR-14 Vintage Watt SWR %REF Power Meter Tenna Pyramid. NOS picture

Pyramid Phase III SWR-14 Vintage Watt SWR %REF Power Meter Tenna Pyramid. NOS

$99.95



Apple Macintosh SE Vintage Mac Computer Shell Front/Back Only (260201) picture

Apple Macintosh SE Vintage Mac Computer Shell Front/Back Only (260201)

$29.99