I have IBM ThinkPad 390 2626-70U with Knoppix 3.7 installed on the hard-drive and then I've been updating to the latest/greatest of what's available using apt-get update and apt-get upgrade. I have a Belkin Wireless G Router, model # F5D7230-4. I have an SMC EZ Connect g Wireless Cardbus Adapter, model # SMC2835W. Absolutely everything has been done to make the wireless router wide open so as to lessen the chances of other issues interfering with making a connection to it. I have not gotten the SMC wireless card to work in any form or fashion with any version of Knoppix, whether from a Live-CD or from what's on my hard-drive, nor with any other public wireless access points. The card is seen (lspci shows output for it) but that's it. No connection, nada. I've run wavelan to make it connect to anything. No connection, nada. On a lark I tried FreeSBIE v1.1 and SLAX v5.0.5 Live-CDs. The SMC card didn't connect in either case. Using SLAX did cause some interesting errors when booting the SLAX Live-CD.
I tried a couple other borrowed wireless cards. One in particular was the Netgear MA401, an 802.11b card. It didn't work with Knoppix in the limited testing I tried, but it *DID* work with the SLAX Live-CD! I now have one a Neargear MA401 on order that will arrive in a few days.
I wonder, does anyone knows how to make my SMC card to work (given I already have it)?
I also wonder, if the Netgear MA401 works with the SLAX Live-CD then what would it take to make it work with Knoppix?
Thank you,
Joel

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00
Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99
Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98
Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49
Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER
$94.94
DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99
Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00