Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Can't edit /etc/resolvconf

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    8

    Can't edit /etc/resolvconf

    I am setting up a small network. On my other PC I edit /etc/resolv.conf, (to make nameserver same as gateway PC with modem) but knoppix 3.7 doesn't have this file. I attempted to view /etc/resolvconf instead, to see if nameserver is there, but get told "not an ordinary file". How do I get to edit this? Or do I change nameserver in another place?

    Thanks

    silverbirch

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    What version of Knoppix are you running? Are you running from CD or has it been installed to the hard drive?
    do a:
    ls -l /etc/res*
    and post the output here.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    8
    How strange, I couldn't find /etc/resolv.conf using mc yesterday, but toady it is there.

    Anway - knoppix 3.7 installed to HD.

    ls -l /etc/res*
    /etc/resolv.conf (in a medium blue colour)
    /etc/resolvconf:
    . .. update-libc.d


    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    #insert namerservers here
    #nameserver 127.0.0.1

    I changed nameserver to 192.168.1.1 to match PC #2. I can ping 216.239.37.99, and ISP, but can't ping google.com or get to any website or use chat from knoppix. 192.168.1.1 is PC #1 with modem which has dnsmasq going.

    Thanks

    silverbirch

Similar Threads

  1. When I edit menu.lst file, should I also edit menu.lst~ ?
    By Uncle Stinky in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-03-2008, 08:53 AM
  2. Can't edit iso on the fly - bummer eh?
    By jago25_98 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-20-2005, 11:11 PM
  3. linuxrc: how to edit?
    By bongski55 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2004, 11:56 AM
  4. Trying to edit file onn hdd.
    By CyberInzane in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-23-2004, 09:33 PM
  5. iso edit
    By iomari in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-10-2003, 10:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



5 Allworx Verge 9312 VoIP IP Phone 12-Line Speakerphone Black RJ-45 MPN 8113120 picture

5 Allworx Verge 9312 VoIP IP Phone 12-Line Speakerphone Black RJ-45 MPN 8113120

$999.00



Yealink SIP-T44W VoIP Phone 12-Line Gigabit Speakerphone RJ-45 Gray/Black picture

Yealink SIP-T44W VoIP Phone 12-Line Gigabit Speakerphone RJ-45 Gray/Black

$44.00



Cisco IP Phone CP-8821 No Battery C2-F3 picture

Cisco IP Phone CP-8821 No Battery C2-F3

$185.00



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07