-
Plugging and unplugging USB drives
I'm having a USB device problem on my machine - Knoppix 3.8.2 installed on HD of a Pentium 600.
After the helpful advice of folks on here, the Linux box will now happily recognise my pen drive and my digital camera (which it sees as another USB drive, but that's OK). They become /mnt/uba1 and /mnt/ubb1- first to arrive is uba1, the second is ubb1.
I can plug them in when the machine's already running, and it will mount them and open them. No problem so far.
However, if I unplug them again, things start to go wrong. First, I cannot replug and reconnect to them - konqueror crashes if I try to do so. Second, the whole /mnt/ directory becomes inaccessible once I've unplugged one.
I'm sure the answer lies in how they are defined in /etc/fstab. Googling has come up with many different "fixes"; I've not yet found one that works.
I've tried the following in /etc/fstab:
/dev/uba1 /mnt/uba1 vfat loop,noauto 0 0
/dev/ubb1 /mnt/ubb1 vfat loop,noauto 0 0
directly under the hard drive definitions. That would not work unless they were connected at boot-up.
usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
/dev/uba1 /mnt/uba1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=022 0 0
directly under the hard drive definitions. That didn't work at all.
devfs /devfs devfs defaults 0 0
/devfs/ub/a/part1 /mnt/uba1 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0
Didn't work at all.
And then, towards the top of fstab, directly below the floppy drive set:
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs devmode=0666 0 0
/dev/uba1 /mnt/uba1 vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/ubb1 /mnt/ubb1 vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
and then instead of the second and third lines above,
/dev/uba1 /mnt/uba1 vfat loop,noauto 0 0
/dev/ubb1 /mnt/ubb1 vfat loop,noauto 0 0
I'm presently using the last one above, and I get one go at plugging in and accessing the device. Thereafter, it has to stay plugged in till shutdown, or the machine gets very stroppy.
Where am I going wrong?
-
Some more experimentation: DMESG is my friend...
If I unplug uba1 after I've opened it in konqueror (and closed konqueror), then plug it back in, its going and coming are seen, and it is renamed ubc1 (ubb1 still being present).
So the problem seems to be that the resources aren't being released when a USB device is removed.
I tried to "unmount" before unplugging, both via Konqueror and a root terminal; the answer both times was "device is busy".
Similar Threads
-
By turbine in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-29-2010, 12:11 PM
-
By Markus in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 20
Last Post: 04-14-2006, 12:18 AM
-
By Israel in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 12-25-2005, 12:44 PM
-
By giant_toaster in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 11-21-2005, 08:30 PM
-
By Chris in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-17-2003, 08:27 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.55

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM
$139.99

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

(8) Micron 32GB DDR4 ECC RDIMM PC4-2933Y Server Memory MTA36ASF4G72PZ *TESTED*
$1599.00

Samsung 64gb PC4-3200AA 2Rx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Memory M393A8G40AB2-CWE - PARTS
$450.00

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

SK Hynix 16GB 2Rx8 DDR4-2400T Reg ECC Server RAM HMA82GR7AFR8N-UH (32GB/2) Lot 2
$157.50

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50