-
Re: Using Kn as recovery/boot, total newbie. Need help!
Assuming that you downloaded the CD version and not the new unauthorized DVD version
Not that I'd know the difference - but I got it from following links from here.
and that you either got it from BitTorrent, or from one of the official mirrors found by the Get Knoppix link above
I'm not real sure what BitTorrent is
but the word "mirror" sounds kind of familiar. Actually none of the US sites would work - the download wouldn't start - so I tried a UK site and it started right up. Given the time of day (late afternoon) I thought it might be that many in the UK had gone home for the evening.
and then
checked it's md5 sum and
confirmed the download was good,
you are wrong about the size. If you have not or will not checked the md5 sum you are likely still wrong, but I'm not going to spend any time on that. Follow the
Documentation link at the top of this page and read the
Downloading faq.
OK now see... I told you. I'm dumb, and dangerous.
That was what my ? regarding the other two files is about. I caught that the download FAQ was discussing them - and that you're supposed to type ... something... somewhere... but, where? The md5 file seemed to be text. The FAQ is well written but it's not written for people who've never looked at this stuff before
And I wouldn't know how to do pgp if my life depended on it. If it did, I suppose I'd call a friend who deals in such things. If I get something critical or questionable in my line of work I pick up the phone and call about it...
You need to know to burn the ISO files (after that all important md5 check)
as an image, not to just drag and drop it into the file area,
not to select any option in your burning software that makes the CD bootable, and to burn it slowly (4x or as slow as your burner will let you if you can't do 4x). How to burn
as an image depends on your burning software, which you did not mention.
Sighs. The CD software on Ken's computer is ... sad. I'd call it pathetic but I've seen worse. After poking around a bit here in the forum last night I saw that someone had recommended Nero, so I found that. I can't get it to work. I think I"m doing something wrong, so I'm poking about on their site now.

Originally Posted by
KathiSharpe
(aside: looking for good AV/firewall recommendations, please pm)
I generally don't give advice over pm since it will help only one person rather than others who might read it in the forums. And it doesn't give anyone a chance to point out if I'm wrong.[/quote]
I wasn't sure what the forum policy was about side-tracking threads. In my forum we do it but gently steer things (sort of like herding cats in a hurricane), I've seen other forums that are topic, topic, nothing BUT the topic.
For a virus scanner I use and like AVG free.
Well... here's my story. I had Norton AV for a year, when the renewal date came I decided to try something free. So I uninstalled it and set up AVG and Zone alarm, at the recommendation of a # of people on my forum. Within 24 hours, I had spyware and a couple of virii crawling all over the place.
For a Spyware scanner I like Ad-Aware Personal.
I agree, they're good.
For a firewall I like Kerio.
Never heard of them - will check it out.
Never trust the firewall that is built into XP. Disable it.
Oh yes - even I knew that. Might not know a checksum from checked baggage...
:::exits stage left in a HURRY:::
In all seriousness, thank you. I do want to do this and do it right - so if you can tell me what to do, I'd appreciate it. If I need to redownload from bittorrent, I can.... or if I can do what needs done with what I got from the UK site, that's good. I really don't know what to do with that md5whodinger... just tell me what to type, where, and I'll do it (if it's essential to the process, why wouldn't someone do it
)
Thanks 
All of the above are free. You may have problems finding an older version of Kerio, if you want one and can't find it, send me a pm.
Harry[/quote]
Similar Threads
-
By mgirdwood in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-14-2007, 02:21 PM
-
By Andy77 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-27-2005, 02:26 PM
-
By liquid134 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-30-2004, 07:07 PM
-
By gizmo in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-17-2004, 05:12 PM
-
By drbfunk in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 20
Last Post: 12-16-2003, 05:34 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i
$228.00

Promise Pegasus R6 Thunderbolt 2 RAID Storage 6Bay Enclosure G2U
$129.99

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$202.46

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.26

LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US
$125.98

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00