-
Using Kn as recovery/boot, total newbie. Need help!
OK. You guys need to keep two things in mind, in talking with me.
#1 - I know a thing or two about computers. But I don't know a thing or three. This makes me very, very dangerous. I won't be at all insulted if you switch to "for dummies" mode (tho I really don't like someone being a jerk because sometimes I can be a bit thick
)
#2 - I have never, ever, ever used linux. I used a unix-based internet provider back in 1994? 95? for a year or three, and had to type commands for a few things. If it's similar, some things might come back. If it's not. ahh well. I'll learn a new thing. 
Here's my situation. Norton Internet Security apparently did what the AV portion was designed to do
and deleted windows/system32/config/system - which is apparently a rather essential registry bit. The fact that the "Security" portion did not keep me very secure led the good Symantec folks to issue me a full refund of my money. (aside: looking for good AV/firewall recommendations, please pm)
With this file missing, Win XP Home SP2 cannot boot. I cannot whip out my handy Windoze CDs to reinstall, because I don't have them. My laptop came with RESTORE disks. Toshiba gave me terrible advice (just copy the missing file from someone else's computer.....duhhhh.... you CAN'T
) and I've wasted two days trying to track down a solution.
A guy on the MS newsgroup recommended knoppix as a potential solution. If I can boot the computer from knoppix, then I can access the files I need to back up, and either email, or offload to a thumb drive, or even set up a network to another computer. Then I can go ahead and just reformat the hard drive, start from scratch.
That said -
Problem # 1 - I spent the afternoon DLing knoppix (even on dsl, it's slow!). I have a 700mb disk, and it won't fit. I thought I saw something in the FAQ but I can't find it now.
Is there a way to do it?
#2 - I don't get what to do with the other two files. PGP has always seemed rather mysterious.... yipes.
#3 - I've been reading this article (Computer First Aid) and I think I get most of it (Surprising. Maybe dangerous. :P ) I think that I understand, from the knoppix documentation and the article, that Kn comes WITH the web browsers and free email programs? I'm thinking that will be the easiest way to take care of things, zip and send to my gmail account.
Can you think of anything else I will need to know? Is there anything I haven't told you, that you need to know?
Thanks for any help you can give.
Similar Threads
-
By mgirdwood in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-14-2007, 02:21 PM
-
By Andy77 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-27-2005, 02:26 PM
-
By liquid134 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-30-2004, 07:07 PM
-
By gizmo in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-17-2004, 05:12 PM
-
By drbfunk in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 20
Last Post: 12-16-2003, 05:34 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive
$200.00

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server Intel Xeon E5630 4GB DDR3 No HDD
$279.99

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs
$49.99

IBM Server Rackmount Sliding Rail Kit ( Part Numbers: 00D9375 / 00D9374 )
$24.99