Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Hard Drive Not Detected

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2

    Hard Drive Not Detected

    Hi,
    I am new here, having some mad troubles with my computer.
    It gives me the "Pri Master HDD Error" message upon startup, so I cannot do anything with the hard drive, cannot boot up at all, can't even re install windows. The BIOS detects it as a 40gb hd, when it is a 30gb hd. But the key is, the BIOS detects something, so I know its somewhat still alive. I can hear it running as well, so its not dead just yet.

    I booted up Knoppix 3.9, and it does not recognized the hard drive. I set it as my slave, and booted up fine on a primary that I just bought, it detects the primary and shows hd1 on the desktop, but nothing else. I tried unplugging, and plugging it in as a primary, but then Knoppix does not detect any hard drives at all. Is there any hope for me to still access my files, or is my hd dead? Please, I really do need these files. Willing to try just about anything at this point.
    Thanks,

    Avi D

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Did you jumper the disks as master and slave?
    Cable select doesn't always work with linux.

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    Cable select doesn't always work with linux.
    Cable select never works, with any OS, unless you have a very special IDE cable that swaps a set of wires between the two drive connectors. These are rare beasts (I've never actually seen one for IDE, and I'm an IT professional). It's not a fault of Linux that CS doesn't work if you don't know how to use it and have the wrong hardware.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    I didn't realize I said it was a fault of linux.

Similar Threads

  1. Maxtor external hard drive not detected/seen.
    By Shadowed State of Mind in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-26-2009, 04:30 AM
  2. Copying hard drive to hard drive new to linux
    By husalah5150 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-22-2005, 05:06 PM
  3. Hard Drive Not Detected
    By AviD in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-04-2005, 02:32 PM
  4. Wireless Card Not Detected and Hard Drive Question
    By StevoB in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-04-2005, 12:05 PM
  5. Hard drive not detected
    By tristan in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-03-2004, 01:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$34.01