Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Burning a backup disc using K3b

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    3

    Burning a backup disc using K3b

    Hi everyone,
    I've been looking through the forums and also checking online elsewhere, but I can't seem to find any answers. Here is my situation:

    My laptop (Fujitsu Lifebook, Series C, just about one year old) gave me the blue screen of death yesterday as I was sorting through my files to make a backup DVD. Fatal System Error, system has been shut down. It wouldn't even boot into safe mode. So I went onto my stepdad's computer, burned a Live boot CD of Knoppix (V 3.9) and booted it up using that. I can get to my hard drive just fine and all my files are still there, but I am having problems burning my files onto a backup DVD. I have a CD/DVD burner on my laptop, that's not the problem. The problem is, I only have one-- it's the only CD/DVD drive that I have. When I get everything ready in K3b to burn my backup disc, it says to insert a blank DVD... but won't open the drive. Is it even possible for it to eject the live boot disc in order to burn a different disc, or do I need to install another CD/DVD drive and burn it from that one? Or am I (and my laptop) just being dumb?

    Any help with this would be very greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance,
    Guenivere

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    If you have 1 gig of memory then you can load Knoppix into memory with the toram cheat code. A different alternative would be to use a smaller distro that will fit in 50 megs or so and use the toram option with that. And a better option might be to transfer the files to another computer on a local network.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    3
    I couldn't get it to boot the disc to the RAM... I think I may not be understanding when/where exactly to type in the cheat code? I think I would be safer to try to transfer the files through the network onto my stepdad's computer... but I have no idea how to do that...

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    a) zip the files to backup to an big archive (backup.zip)
    b) connect the backup with a crosslink-cable to second computer
    (a windows-pc? if yes, get the ip by
    Code:
    ipconfig /all
    or by right-clicking the network symbol, and click and click and click...
    c) on the laptop, adjust your ip to be in the same subnet.
    If the desktop is 192.168.0.2, make your laptop 192.168.0.5 or something:
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0 down
    ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.5 up
    note: it's ipconfig on win, and ifconfig (InterFace) on linux.
    d) on the commandline, start the internet superserver:
    Code:
     inetd
    e) from the desktop, connect to the laptop via ftp:
    Code:
    ftp 192.168.0.5
    g) move to the directory containing the backup
    h)
    Code:
    get backup.zip
    if successful, take a big breath and open a bottle, but I guess there will be some problems:
    a) maybe you have to be root to use ifconfig and to start inetd
    b) to login via ftp, you have to specify an username, which means to create a user on the linux-system first.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    3
    Thanks a bunch! I actually switched to Damn Small Linux and burned the backup discs that way, but this helps me a ton too. I really appreciate it!

Similar Threads

  1. Automatic Backup CD, after taking backup, boot on
    By jets in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2008, 07:49 AM
  2. Creating persistant knoppix disc image with floppy disc
    By Arbatras in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-13-2007, 05:44 PM
  3. Data Backup / DVD Burning with Knoppix
    By popjack in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-28-2005, 08:55 PM
  4. is there a boot disc?
    By airkyd in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-24-2005, 05:10 PM
  5. Like to format w2k disc
    By juham in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-17-2004, 09:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM Power S822 POWER8 1x CPU 32GB DDR4 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD. picture

IBM Power S822 POWER8 1x CPU 32GB DDR4 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD.

$629.99



Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852 picture

Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852

$559.00



Ibm Computer Tower picture

Ibm Computer Tower

$400.00



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$200.00



IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS picture

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS

$80.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



IBM System S822 Dual Socket Server Motherboard W/Cage FRU P/N: 74Y4343 Tested picture

IBM System S822 Dual Socket Server Motherboard W/Cage FRU P/N: 74Y4343 Tested

$499.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$149.99