Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: disk boot question

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3

    disk boot question

    if i use the disk boot is there a way to set up a section of my harddrive for the disk?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sydney/Australia
    Posts
    311
    pardon ?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3
    I am using windows and i want to use linux to.
    If i was to use a disk boot could i make it so that one part of my hard drive is for linux and can it be acessed by the disk boot?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonpinko
    I am using windows and i want to use linux to.
    If i was to use a disk boot could i make it so that one part of my hard drive is for linux and can it be acessed by the disk boot?
    Yes, it can be done. Browse through the Documentation, although I haven't found anything which explains the process well. In brief, you will do the following:
    1 - resize your NTFS partition
    2 - create a linux partition
    3 - install Knoppix

    BTW, although Knoppix is great as a LiveCD, it is not so good for installating to the harddrive. For hard drive installs, have a look at Kanotix

    Let us know how things go.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org/

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by rwcitek
    1 - resize your NTFS partition
    2 - create a linux partition
    3 - install Knoppix
    Alternately, I would suggest:
    Code:
     1 - resize your NTFS partition
     2 - create a FAT partition
     3 - install Knoppix EDIT: Warning - see my next post below
    Knoppix can write to the FAT partition just fine (it cannot safely write to the NTFS partition, which is why rwcitek indicated that you needed to make space). With a FAT partition you will be able to move files back to Windows if needed, something you will not be able to do if you make a Linux partition.

    One tool that will let you resize the NTFS partition is Partition MAgic. Unfortunately it is not free. I don't know of any free tool like it in the Windows world, but you can always search.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Code:
     1 - resize your NTFS partition
     2 - create a FAT partition
     3 - install Knoppix
    Install knoppix where?

    I understood he wanted to run from the cd so steps 1&2 above are needed.
    Qtparted on the cd can be used to resize ntfs but it is often buggy so several defrags and backuping is recommended.

  7. #7
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    Install knoppix where?

    I understood he wanted to run from the cd so steps 1&2 above are needed.
    Qtparted on the cd can be used to resize ntfs but it is often buggy so several defrags and backuping is recommended.
    Opps, you're absolutely right. I noted the suggestion to make a Linux partition and wanted to post that I felt it would be better to make a FAT partition. I cut/paste and edited a little too quickly. In no way would I ever really suggest installing Knoppix. Had my brain been in gear the post would have read:
    Code:
     1 - resize your NTFS partition
     2 - create a FAT partition
     3 - run Knoppix from CD

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    Qtparted on the cd can be used to resize ntfs but it is often buggy so several defrags and backuping is recommended.
    Buggy? Yes, Windows will run chkdsk on the next boot, but that's about it. I've used qtparted many, many times and have not had any issues. But if you have, I'm curious to know about it.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org/

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    In no way would I ever really suggest installing Knoppix. Had my brain been in gear the post would have read:
    Code:
     1 - resize your NTFS partition
     2 - create a FAT partition
     3 - run Knoppix from CD
    As an alternative to installing, I've put the ISO, a swapfile, and a persistant disk image on a vfat partition. Knoppix can boot from the CD and then the ISO using the bootfrom= cheatcode. If that setup works for people, I recommend doing that with a vfat partition instead of installing to a ext2/ext3 partition.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org/

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by rwcitek
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    Qtparted on the cd can be used to resize ntfs but it is often buggy so several defrags and backuping is recommended.
    Buggy? Yes, Windows will run chkdsk on the next boot, but that's about it. I've used qtparted many, many times and have not had any issues. But if you have, I'm curious to know about it.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org/
    Two months ago in May, a gal at my lug, lilug.org, had used qtparted to resize a NTFS partition. I did not see the results first hand but I did hear about it first hand. qtparted ran into some error about halfway through the resize and b0rked the NTFS partition. It boot windows to a bluescreen STOP error and was unable to mount it in Knoppix. Lucky for her, she had backed up all the important documents & homework to another PC so all she lost was an existing windows installation. Whenever NTFS resizing is mentioned & since I don't know the skill level of people reading my words, I tend to follow through with a warning.

    Use this at your own risk. There is ALWAYS some risk of losing data. Please ALWAYS make sure that you have a working backup of your important data prior to experimenting with ANY new software, no matter if is Windows, Linux, Mac OS or anything else.
    That said, I personally have had no errors or problems with qtparted & ntfsresize.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Noob Question about disk formats
    By rowck001 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-14-2005, 02:14 PM
  2. How to boot from disk
    By gabriele in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-27-2005, 11:31 PM
  3. Boot Disk ???'s
    By Mustang64 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-23-2004, 04:53 AM
  4. Boot cd with lilo or grub boot disk
    By keava in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-20-2003, 05:24 PM
  5. Boot Disk?
    By Guest in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-23-2002, 08:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz  8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER  picture

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER

$94.94



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$12.00



DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid picture

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid

$139.99



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00