Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 13 of 13

Thread: disk boot question

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    I haven't used qtparted to resize ntfs but have read several posts about how it completely borked the partition. I don't think they all made up the stories. The warning on the qtparted homepage is perhaps a standard disclaimer, but IMHO a needed one. No matter what software you use to resize a partition, you should do a prior backup.

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderScore
    Whenever NTFS resizing is mentioned & since I don't know the skill level of people reading my words, I tend to follow through with a warning.
    Use this at your own risk. There is ALWAYS some risk of losing data. Please ALWAYS make sure that you have a working backup of your important data prior to experimenting with ANY new software, no matter if is Windows, Linux, Mac OS or anything else.
    Ah, good idea and nice warning. That should be on the wiki page for easy reference. Or maybe it is, and I missed it.

    I guess I'm blessed in that my Windows machines are only for experimenting while my work-horse machines are either Linux or Mac OS X. So I tend not to think twice about resizing NTFS partitions. But maybe I should when I reply to queries.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org/

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by rwcitek
    Ah, good idea and nice warning. That should be on the wiki page for easy reference. Or maybe it is, and I missed it.
    Its now in the wiki at the HD install howto.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Noob Question about disk formats
    By rowck001 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-14-2005, 02:14 PM
  2. How to boot from disk
    By gabriele in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-27-2005, 11:31 PM
  3. Boot Disk ???'s
    By Mustang64 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-23-2004, 04:53 AM
  4. Boot cd with lilo or grub boot disk
    By keava in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-20-2003, 05:24 PM
  5. Boot Disk?
    By Guest in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-23-2002, 08:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch picture

NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch

$499.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



VA Linux 1120 1U Rackmount Server picture

VA Linux 1120 1U Rackmount Server

$100.00



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



Dell R730 AI Home Lab Server 128GB RTX 3060 Ti Dual Xeon 20-Core picture

Dell R730 AI Home Lab Server 128GB RTX 3060 Ti Dual Xeon 20-Core

$999.00



BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD picture

BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD

$169.99



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99