Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 13 of 13

Thread: disk boot question

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    I haven't used qtparted to resize ntfs but have read several posts about how it completely borked the partition. I don't think they all made up the stories. The warning on the qtparted homepage is perhaps a standard disclaimer, but IMHO a needed one. No matter what software you use to resize a partition, you should do a prior backup.

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderScore
    Whenever NTFS resizing is mentioned & since I don't know the skill level of people reading my words, I tend to follow through with a warning.
    Use this at your own risk. There is ALWAYS some risk of losing data. Please ALWAYS make sure that you have a working backup of your important data prior to experimenting with ANY new software, no matter if is Windows, Linux, Mac OS or anything else.
    Ah, good idea and nice warning. That should be on the wiki page for easy reference. Or maybe it is, and I missed it.

    I guess I'm blessed in that my Windows machines are only for experimenting while my work-horse machines are either Linux or Mac OS X. So I tend not to think twice about resizing NTFS partitions. But maybe I should when I reply to queries.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org/

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by rwcitek
    Ah, good idea and nice warning. That should be on the wiki page for easy reference. Or maybe it is, and I missed it.
    Its now in the wiki at the HD install howto.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Noob Question about disk formats
    By rowck001 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-14-2005, 02:14 PM
  2. How to boot from disk
    By gabriele in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-27-2005, 11:31 PM
  3. Boot Disk ???'s
    By Mustang64 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-23-2004, 04:53 AM
  4. Boot cd with lilo or grub boot disk
    By keava in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-20-2003, 05:24 PM
  5. Boot Disk?
    By Guest in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-23-2002, 08:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Commodore 64 Vintage Home Computer w/ Box, 1541 Disk Drive picture

Commodore 64 Vintage Home Computer w/ Box, 1541 Disk Drive

$580.00



Vintage Brown Leather Laptop Briefcase with Yellow Zipper picture

Vintage Brown Leather Laptop Briefcase with Yellow Zipper

$45.00



Vintage AutoCAD  2000i Upgrade Boxed CD & Key Code picture

Vintage AutoCAD 2000i Upgrade Boxed CD & Key Code

$144.45



Sanyo DM 5012CM Solid State Data Display Monitor Working Vintage 1980s 80s picture

Sanyo DM 5012CM Solid State Data Display Monitor Working Vintage 1980s 80s

$169.99



DEC Vintage Module/Board Collectable Vintage chip - 1 BROKEN LEG (BO) picture

DEC Vintage Module/Board Collectable Vintage chip - 1 BROKEN LEG (BO)

$200.00



Intel 1301 Vintage collectable IC Ceramic DIP  - possible cracked casing (BO) picture

Intel 1301 Vintage collectable IC Ceramic DIP - possible cracked casing (BO)

$100.00



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage COMPAQ Enhanced Keyboard Version I SDL Connection IBM Model M RARE picture

Vintage COMPAQ Enhanced Keyboard Version I SDL Connection IBM Model M RARE

$72.00



Vintage IBM ThinkPad T21 Laptop Type 2647 Pentium III Windows XP + PCMCIA WiFi picture

Vintage IBM ThinkPad T21 Laptop Type 2647 Pentium III Windows XP + PCMCIA WiFi

$169.00



Dell Inspiron E1505 Vintage Laptop – Windows XP – Working picture

Dell Inspiron E1505 Vintage Laptop – Windows XP – Working

$50.00