Try to put IP to Dynamic in kppp; delete Login script; check conection speed - it must be not too high.
Guys, I am using knoppix 3.6 (tried 3.8 as well) and I am having a problem access the internet using an external USR 56k modem. I have tried installing knoppix to the hard drive as well but same problem. What is happening is this, the modem dials and connects and the next step fails indicating a pppd timeout. I assumed at first that this was a incorrect username/password problem but tested them using a Windows XP installation and they worked there. I installed to hard disk and tried to connect as a default user as well as root and no luck. Any suggestions or logs that I need to show you guys please let me know.
Thanks for your help
Gerry
Try to put IP to Dynamic in kppp; delete Login script; check conection speed - it must be not too high.
Thanks, I will try changing the modem speed as suggested as there is no login script and I already have the IP address set to dynamic. I will let you know how it goes.
I battled hard with kppp for around a week, but wvdial became my friend in just 10 minutes.
You can quit, kppp for good. I assume you are using a serial modem(External 56k).
Use wvdial. To know more, download the configuration+deb file from rapidshare.
<====DOWNLOAD THE FILE HERE(around 90-120kb) ====>
Two bash scripts are also used. You can use, them after modifying the variables like username/password and number to dial.
Also change the string "Bsnl" to the name of the connection required. Bsnl is the connection which I use.
You can change the modem speed for 56k as 57600. For, other modems use 115200.
Use the scripts to connect and disconnect from internet.
Regards
Changed the connection speed and all worked perfect, thanks guys.Originally Posted by gnukish
Which program do you use at the end: kppp or wvdial? With all due recpect to everybody who want to help and often recomend wvdial, I must say that this program is very specific one. In README file in wvdial, you can read about it:
"Because WvDial has a pretty nasty bunch of heuristics included for dialing
modems, finding login/password prompts, guessing at menu options and command
prompts, and so on, it has been known to screw up on occasion. If WvDial
doesn't quite work for you, it's probably our fault, not yours! It's
difficult for us to guess typical login sequences for various ISP's, and
it's completely impossible for us to guess them all. If WvDial doesn't seem
to like your ISP, I've got some good news and some bad news for you.
The bad news about WvDial versus 'chat' scripts: if your chat script
doesn't work, you can always fix it without doing any programming. WvDial
uses built-in intelligence, but if its intelligence fails, you're out of
luck.
And now the good news: E-mail us about the problem and we'll do our best to
help."

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99
Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 64GB 2x32GB DDR4-3600 CL18 PVB464G360C8K RAM Kit #P2
$349.00
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99
TEAMGROUP T-Force Zeus 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 Desktop RAM Kit
$199.99
Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00
PNY Anarchy 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL16 DIMM 8GBF1X08QFHH36-135-K-HAXR
$49.99
Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V
$41.00
ADATA XPG Spectrix White RGB AX4U320038G16-BW41 32GB DDR4 matching set of 8GB
$149.99
Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00