Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: pppd time out

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6

    pppd time out

    Guys, I am using knoppix 3.6 (tried 3.8 as well) and I am having a problem access the internet using an external USR 56k modem. I have tried installing knoppix to the hard drive as well but same problem. What is happening is this, the modem dials and connects and the next step fails indicating a pppd timeout. I assumed at first that this was a incorrect username/password problem but tested them using a Windows XP installation and they worked there. I installed to hard disk and tried to connect as a default user as well as root and no luck. Any suggestions or logs that I need to show you guys please let me know.
    Thanks for your help

    Gerry

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    Try to put IP to Dynamic in kppp; delete Login script; check conection speed - it must be not too high.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6
    Thanks, I will try changing the modem speed as suggested as there is no login script and I already have the IP address set to dynamic. I will let you know how it goes.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    51
    I battled hard with kppp for around a week, but wvdial became my friend in just 10 minutes.
    You can quit, kppp for good. I assume you are using a serial modem(External 56k).
    Use wvdial. To know more, download the configuration+deb file from rapidshare.

    <====DOWNLOAD THE FILE HERE(around 90-120kb) ====>

    Two bash scripts are also used. You can use, them after modifying the variables like username/password and number to dial.
    Also change the string "Bsnl" to the name of the connection required. Bsnl is the connection which I use.
    You can change the modem speed for 56k as 57600. For, other modems use 115200.
    Use the scripts to connect and disconnect from internet.

    Regards

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by gnukish
    I battled hard with kppp for around a week, but wvdial became my friend in just 10 minutes.
    You can quit, kppp for good. I assume you are using a serial modem(External 56k).
    Use wvdial. To know more, download the configuration+deb file from rapidshare.

    <====DOWNLOAD THE FILE HERE(around 90-120kb) ====>

    Two bash scripts are also used. You can use, them after modifying the variables like username/password and number to dial.
    Also change the string "Bsnl" to the name of the connection required. Bsnl is the connection which I use.
    You can change the modem speed for 56k as 57600. For, other modems use 115200.
    Use the scripts to connect and disconnect from internet.

    Regards
    Changed the connection speed and all worked perfect, thanks guys.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    Which program do you use at the end: kppp or wvdial? With all due recpect to everybody who want to help and often recomend wvdial, I must say that this program is very specific one. In README file in wvdial, you can read about it:

    "Because WvDial has a pretty nasty bunch of heuristics included for dialing
    modems, finding login/password prompts, guessing at menu options and command
    prompts, and so on, it has been known to screw up on occasion. If WvDial
    doesn't quite work for you, it's probably our fault, not yours! It's
    difficult for us to guess typical login sequences for various ISP's, and
    it's completely impossible for us to guess them all. If WvDial doesn't seem
    to like your ISP, I've got some good news and some bad news for you.

    The bad news about WvDial versus 'chat' scripts: if your chat script
    doesn't work, you can always fix it without doing any programming. WvDial
    uses built-in intelligence, but if its intelligence fails, you're out of
    luck.


    And now the good news: E-mail us about the problem and we'll do our best to
    help."

Similar Threads

  1. Inconsistant KPPP/PPPD
    By eon in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 03:54 PM
  2. A link for a site that explains pppd program
    By kn2user in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-24-2004, 04:58 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-24-2004, 12:14 AM
  4. pppd call isp nodetach (or) Lord help me... i'm such a NOOB.
    By spamhippy in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-30-2004, 08:27 PM
  5. TV time !
    By mihai in forum Ideas
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-25-2003, 04:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included picture

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included

$27.99



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Yealink T53W Black IP Phone Verizon VoIP LOT OF 4   Business Desk Phone picture

Yealink T53W Black IP Phone Verizon VoIP LOT OF 4 Business Desk Phone

$150.00



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked) picture

Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked)

$18.99



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone - Charcoal picture

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone - Charcoal

$98.95