Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Dialing problem from console

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    New Delhi
    Posts
    4

    Dialing problem from console

    I have installed Knoppix 3.1 on the harddisk.

    While I am able to log on to internet using KPPP, but if I use wvdial with the same /etc/wvdial.conf file which I was using successfully with Red Hat 7.1 earlier also and the same /etc/resolv.conf, I am able to connect to the ISP but the connection is not there for more that 5 to 10 seconds and then ppp process dies out with error code 16 which means the connetion was terminated by connecting modem. I am not able to ping to the DNS for whatever period I am connected to.

    Don't know why.

    I tried to use pppconfig, but when I do pon, pppd is not dialing the ISP even.

    This is all happening when I am logged in as root.

    What could be the possible reason.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    85
    Here is how I connect to the internet
    I use bellsouth to dialup to the internet
    click on the K and go to the Knoppix menu and get to a root console
    type in pppconfig and follow the directions
    type in your provider name (i just typed in bs since i use bellsouth)
    type in your username and password and phone number that you are dialing into and save the configuration
    when you exit pppconfig type pon <your providers name>
    so mine would be
    pon bs
    then it dials up to bellsouth and i'm on the net
    to sign off type
    poff
    and it will disconnect
    I hope this helps

  3. #3
    Guest
    I did exactly the similar, instead of
    # pon bs

    I am using

    # pon now

    now is the name of my ISP.

    Please suggest.

  4. #4
    Guest
    Sorry, not sure what to tell you from here. It may be a modem issue instead of a software issue.
    What make/model of modem do you have, and is it internal or external.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-13-2004, 03:51 PM
  2. Getting to KDE from console
    By edlsoft in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-30-2004, 01:42 AM
  3. Trouble dialing in to AOL with kppp.
    By lyran in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-08-2004, 06:05 AM
  4. dialing problems
    By ndegiuli in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-18-2004, 03:25 AM
  5. Problems while dialing to ISP
    By Ricky84 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-11-2003, 11:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD picture

SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD

$100.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73



External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A picture

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A

$100.00