Unfortunately, Knoppix reports that it cannot open the device on an fdisk either. I suspect the stick is well and truly shot.
Unfortunately, Knoppix reports that it cannot open the device on an fdisk either. I suspect the stick is well and truly shot.
This is very uncommon and I would be surprised if it's actually kaput. What's the manufacturer?Originally Posted by stevelw
No idea I'm afraid. It's a 512Mb unit that was given away by Borland to delegates at a recent product presentation in Manchester. The only label on it is the name 'BORLAND'
Well if you think it's shot, there can't be any harm in performing a low-level format, right?Originally Posted by stevelw
do this:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda1 (replace sda1 with whatever device it is)
That worked fine. Did a low-level format (in KNoppix) and then a standard format as FAT in XP. However, after remounting on KNoppix and settings device to be writeable, still caoont copy files from NTFS to the device. Generates message ...
Could not write to /mnt/sdf1/<filename>
Forget last post. Tried again and it worked fine!
Thanks for the assist.
Welcome to the forum. I had not realized that there was a simpler way to change the rw status of a flashdrive. What I usualy do is change mount the flash drive from root. You have to remember though to unmonut it from root also. the cmd I use goes like this in Knoppix 3.8,9 .. first you right click and mount the flashdrive then (use the expression withut the quotes.
" mount -o remount,rw /dev/sdf1" or possibly "mount -o remount,rw /mnt/sdf1" then you can write to it or drag and drop. I hope this helps. the unmount would read something like " umount /dev or mnt/sdf1" I too am new to this forum and wish you happy learning.
Captain Cautious

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Datacenter 64Bit 24 Core 50 cal Freeshipping
$54.99
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64-bit 16 Core + 50 CALs |
$79.99
8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU
$1100.00