This is very uncommon and I would be surprised if it's actually kaput. What's the manufacturer?Originally Posted by stevelw
Unfortunately, Knoppix reports that it cannot open the device on an fdisk either. I suspect the stick is well and truly shot.
This is very uncommon and I would be surprised if it's actually kaput. What's the manufacturer?Originally Posted by stevelw
No idea I'm afraid. It's a 512Mb unit that was given away by Borland to delegates at a recent product presentation in Manchester. The only label on it is the name 'BORLAND'
Well if you think it's shot, there can't be any harm in performing a low-level format, right?Originally Posted by stevelw
do this:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda1 (replace sda1 with whatever device it is)
That worked fine. Did a low-level format (in KNoppix) and then a standard format as FAT in XP. However, after remounting on KNoppix and settings device to be writeable, still caoont copy files from NTFS to the device. Generates message ...
Could not write to /mnt/sdf1/<filename>
Forget last post. Tried again and it worked fine!
Thanks for the assist.
Welcome to the forum. I had not realized that there was a simpler way to change the rw status of a flashdrive. What I usualy do is change mount the flash drive from root. You have to remember though to unmonut it from root also. the cmd I use goes like this in Knoppix 3.8,9 .. first you right click and mount the flashdrive then (use the expression withut the quotes.
" mount -o remount,rw /dev/sdf1" or possibly "mount -o remount,rw /mnt/sdf1" then you can write to it or drag and drop. I hope this helps. the unmount would read something like " umount /dev or mnt/sdf1" I too am new to this forum and wish you happy learning.
Captain Cautious

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99
Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162)
$36.99
Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47
Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$282.00
USB 3.2 Dual Type-C & USB Flash Drive Metal High Speed Memory Stick 1TB 2TB
$12.49
Wholesale Sale 10/ 30/ 50/100pcs 256MB Metal Swivel USB Flash Drive Memory Stick
$165.90
Full Version MS Office Professional Plus 2021 - 64-Bit Flash USB Drive Install
$59.99