This is very uncommon and I would be surprised if it's actually kaput. What's the manufacturer?Originally Posted by stevelw
Unfortunately, Knoppix reports that it cannot open the device on an fdisk either. I suspect the stick is well and truly shot.
This is very uncommon and I would be surprised if it's actually kaput. What's the manufacturer?Originally Posted by stevelw
No idea I'm afraid. It's a 512Mb unit that was given away by Borland to delegates at a recent product presentation in Manchester. The only label on it is the name 'BORLAND'
Well if you think it's shot, there can't be any harm in performing a low-level format, right?Originally Posted by stevelw
do this:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda1 (replace sda1 with whatever device it is)
That worked fine. Did a low-level format (in KNoppix) and then a standard format as FAT in XP. However, after remounting on KNoppix and settings device to be writeable, still caoont copy files from NTFS to the device. Generates message ...
Could not write to /mnt/sdf1/<filename>
Forget last post. Tried again and it worked fine!
Thanks for the assist.
Welcome to the forum. I had not realized that there was a simpler way to change the rw status of a flashdrive. What I usualy do is change mount the flash drive from root. You have to remember though to unmonut it from root also. the cmd I use goes like this in Knoppix 3.8,9 .. first you right click and mount the flashdrive then (use the expression withut the quotes.
" mount -o remount,rw /dev/sdf1" or possibly "mount -o remount,rw /mnt/sdf1" then you can write to it or drag and drop. I hope this helps. the unmount would read something like " umount /dev or mnt/sdf1" I too am new to this forum and wish you happy learning.
Captain Cautious

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54
Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00
Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49
Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km
$15.99
Intel Xeon Platinum 8268 2.9GHz 24-Core FCLGA3647 Processor | SRF95
$119.99
Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU
$7.95
Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99
For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX
$149.99