Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Help with partimage please

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    1

    Help with partimage please

    I have been trying to use partimage from knoppix to back-up the ubuntu installation on my laptop (/hda2 to the home partition /hda3).
    I type in a terminal the following
    'sudo partimage -z2 save /dev/hda2 /mnt/hd3/ubuntu.partimg.bz2'

    I can F5 through the partimage windows until the end where I get the error message "cannot create temp file on [/mnt/hda3], please check that you have room and access rights."

    'df' tells me that /hda3 has 13GB of free space
    'ls -l /mnt' tells me that /hda3 belongs to root with rwx access for root

    If I open a root terminal the end result is the same.

    'sudo partimage -z2 save /dev/hda2 ubuntu.partimg.bz2' starts the whole process with the image file going into /knoppix/home. This unfortunately is far too small for the resulting file.

    Can anyone help?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Help with partimage please

    The filesystem on /mnt/hda3 should not be NTFS; is it?

    Also, it's best to use a native Linux filesystem to store backup files (like ext3 or reiserfs ) instead of Fat32, because Fat32 has a 2GB filesize limitation.

    Post results of " mount "

    Quote Originally Posted by alastair lewis
    I have been trying to use partimage from knoppix to back-up the ubuntu installation on my laptop (/hda2 to the home partition /hda3).
    I type in a terminal the following
    'sudo partimage -z2 save /dev/hda2 /mnt/hd3/ubuntu.partimg.bz2'

    I can F5 through the partimage windows until the end where I get the error message "cannot create temp file on [/mnt/hda3], please check that you have room and access rights."

    'df' tells me that /hda3 has 13GB of free space
    'ls -l /mnt' tells me that /hda3 belongs to root with rwx access for root

    If I open a root terminal the end result is the same.

    'sudo partimage -z2 save /dev/hda2 ubuntu.partimg.bz2' starts the whole process with the image file going into /knoppix/home. This unfortunately is far too small for the resulting file.

    Can anyone help?

Similar Threads

  1. need help with partimage
    By fanbanlo in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-19-2005, 04:10 AM
  2. Partimage
    By jjbergdolt in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-05-2005, 07:57 AM
  3. Partimage - won't
    By MickKi in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 03:00 PM
  4. partimage
    By deejay in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-2005, 11:22 AM
  5. Partimage can't use LVM
    By Simba in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-02-2003, 08:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested picture

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested

$35.00



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700K Octa-Core 3.6 GHz Desktop CPU picture

Intel Core i7-9700K Octa-Core 3.6 GHz Desktop CPU

$99.99



Intel Core i5-14600KF Unlocked Desktop Processor picture

Intel Core i5-14600KF Unlocked Desktop Processor

$259.99



Compo MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC LGA1151 16 Gb DDR4 + Cpu I7 6700+I/O Shields. picture

Compo MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC LGA1151 16 Gb DDR4 + Cpu I7 6700+I/O Shields.

$159.00



INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG picture

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG

$299.99