Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Knoppix 3.9 strange installer bug?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    29

    Knoppix 3.9 strange installer bug?

    To install Knoppix into HDD, boot the Knoppix LiveCD and then run the knoppix-installer script is the most straight forward way.

    In the past, I mean pre-3.8 releases, I can run this script under a root shell and finish the whole installation without any troubles. However, in 3.9, if I run it under a root shell, everything seems fine until I choose "Start installation" -> "- debian: Debian-like system (recommended)". The installer drops me to a "Usage for Xdialog" message box. When I try to click "next" in order to continue the installation, it eventually quit the installation for no reasons.

    Alternatively, if I run this script as knoppix (a normal user) by issuing "sudo knoppix-installer" at the shell prompt, then everything goes smoothly.

    Does any one have the same experience?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    su & sudo functionality has been slightly altered in version 3.8.0 and up. In practically all cases, the user will never know anything has changed. I ran into a small issue with sudo when I tried to remaster 3.8 and I believe that the knoppix-installer script is one of those exceptions. I have re-written the HD Install HowTo http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Install_HowTo to indicate that it should be run from a normal user shell, and not the root-shell.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2
    I have done everything in these instructions to get 3.9 to install to the drive and it still sends me into the xdialog, when I click continue it goes back to the console and that's it. then I would have to start all over again with the same results.

    I have met all the requirements, I used QTparted to partition 3gb (set active), and a 512 linux swap space partition.

    It keeps saying the requirments have not been met.??????????

    Has anyone done a sucessful 3.9 hard drive install???

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by napatec
    Has anyone done a sucessful 3.9 hard drive install???
    What I did is simply boot the CD, as knoppix (a normal user), and then issue "sudo knoppix-installer" at the terminal prompt.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2
    thanks,

    I did it both ways, from root and as knoppix user and it always ended up at the xdialog. I wish I knew what I was supposed to do with the xdialog, what it's purpose was.

    The next thing I tried was to download version 4.0.2 cd , it does the same thing when installing as root or knoppix user.

    On the third day ( tonight ) I gave up and decided to install a real linux ( debian sarge 3.1 ) it installed perfectly, updated all it's packages etc.

    However on reboot I can only login at the text console, I can't figure out how to start a window gui. I have read about six hours of documentation and posted to the debian forum.

    Now I am downloading a different distro to try. I have worked with computers since 1989 starting with macs then went to pc when windows 3.1 was released. I have used the knoppix live cds for years but this is the first attempt at a real install.

    I see why so many still use windows, I am trying to get all my customers off of windows but I look pretty stupid cause I can't even do it myself. I have about a week into getting it to run from the hard drive with nothing but wasted time to show for it. Here it is 3am again

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Quote Originally Posted by napatec
    On the third day ( tonight ) I gave up and decided to install a real linux ( debian sarge 3.1 ) it installed perfectly, updated all it's packages etc.
    Good choise.

    However on reboot I can only login at the text console, I can't figure out how to start a window gui. I have read about six hours of documentation and posted to the debian forum.
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hreadid=224547
    If startx doesn't work, install a login manager, like "apt-get install gdm" although you probably get xdm with installation of x. startx also tells you the errors if any. Also look in ~/.xsession-errors and /var/log/XFree86.0.log

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-07-2006, 11:21 PM
  2. Knoppix 5.0 STRANGE INTERNET PROBLEMS!!!!
    By toppshatta in forum Networking
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-30-2006, 07:10 PM
  3. Installing Knoppix 3.7 over FC2 w/Strange XP Dualboot
    By Alterscape in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-24-2004, 12:43 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-18-2004, 03:57 PM
  5. Knoppix 3.4 and Kpackage strange behaviors ....
    By smarchand291 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-12-2004, 04:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage 2006 Juicy Couture House of Juicy Velour Laptop Sleeve Y2K NWT Rare picture

Vintage 2006 Juicy Couture House of Juicy Velour Laptop Sleeve Y2K NWT Rare

$199.99



Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1 picture

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1

$250.00



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New picture

Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New

$82.00



Huge Lot of Vintage Computer Brochures, Catalogs, etc. - 1980's - SEE PICS picture

Huge Lot of Vintage Computer Brochures, Catalogs, etc. - 1980's - SEE PICS

$100.00



Vintage Laptop HP Hewlett Packard Pavilion N3110 Celeron 433 MHz *Please Read* picture

Vintage Laptop HP Hewlett Packard Pavilion N3110 Celeron 433 MHz *Please Read*

$50.99



Vintage PB-64 64K RAM Printer Buffer Parallel Computer Printer Interface picture

Vintage PB-64 64K RAM Printer Buffer Parallel Computer Printer Interface

$74.99



Vintage IDE Removable Hard Drive Mobile Rack 5.25 Bay 50-Pin Tray + Maxtor 40GB picture

Vintage IDE Removable Hard Drive Mobile Rack 5.25 Bay 50-Pin Tray + Maxtor 40GB

$49.99



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP

$299.99



Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board. picture

Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board.

$135.37