-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
rossi
I DO NOT WANT to delete sda1 sda3 because, I think that Windows startup will look for these partitions. Something similar is on the IBM ThinkPads, and I ran into trouble when I deleted a partition like sda3.
I know it is possible to shrink NTFS partitions.
Whenever NTFS resizing is mentioned & since I don't know the skill level of people reading my words, I tend to follow through with a warning.
WARNING! There is ALWAYS some risk of losing data. Please ALWAYS make sure that you have a working backup of your important data prior to experimenting with ANY new software, no matter if Windows, Linux or anything else.
So you have this:
Code:
----------------------------------------------------
| sda1 primary Dell Utility 49.46 (MB) |
|--------------------------------------------------|
| sda2 boot primary NTFS 396548.98 (MB) |
|--------------------------------------------------|
| sda3 primary CP/M/CTOS 3487.52(MB) |
|--------------------------------------------------|
And you want something like this:
Code:
----------------------------------------------------
| sda1 primary Dell Utility 49.46 (MB) |
|--------------------------------------------------|
| sda2 boot primary NTFS 286548.98 (MB) |
|--------------------------------------------------|
| sda3 primary CP/M/CTOS 3487.52(MB) |
|--------------------------------------------------|
| sda5 primary Linux ext3fs 10240(MB) |
|--------------------------------------------------|
| sda6 primary Linux swap 1024(MB) |
|--------------------------------------------------|
It should be possible to shrink a NTFS partition in the middle of a drive that is sandwiched by two other partitions. I do not know if it is possible to then take the free space in the middle of a drive and then create partitions from it at the end of a drive. Since a drive lays its partitions down in a line (linearlly), this would require a couple steps.
- shrink ntfs partition.
- move (effectivly expand & then shrink) the sda3 partition across the freed space until it meets the boundry of the NTFS partition.
- then create Linux partitions in the freed space
Maybe linu/knoppix can do it. I don't know. The only thing I can suggest is to perhaps experiment on another drive & see if it works. Or investigate third party partitioning software like Partition Magic.
I wish you success.
James
Similar Threads
-
By srice in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-29-2009, 08:17 AM
-
By pyromaniac in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-02-2006, 08:26 PM
-
By ajwreinhardt in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 14
Last Post: 06-21-2006, 07:05 PM
-
By als in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-08-2005, 03:09 AM
-
By paoloskater in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-27-2005, 03:41 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch
$39.99

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch
$69.99

CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188
$24.94

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$205.00

Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points
$36.00

CISCO AIR-PWRINJ6 Gigabit Power over Ethernet Injector only, (No Outlet plug)
$23.00