You asked "how can i start the service i mean should it start automatically?", the link I posted explains runlevels and how to make services run upon bootup.

As for getting FTP server to work, here is the steps from the FAQ.
What I do is delete the symlink and restart inetd.conf Here are the necessary steps:

* Configure networking from the menu
* Open a console and set a password for user knoppix:
o passwd knoppix
* Open a root shell and do:
o rm /etc/hosts.deny
o rm /etc/hosts.allow
o /etc/init.d/inetd restart

Now the ftp server is ready and from any client you can ftp to knoppix system, use 'knoppix' as user name and the password you set as password.
I just used the Knoppix 3.8.2 CD on 1 machine and used WindowsXP on another and it worked.

Now getting FTP server to work on a HD install, well it is going to be more difficult. The hosts.allow & hosts.deny files are quite important and do NOT want to delete those. I would suggest commenting all the line out using '#'.

As for "why would i want to boot the cd if i have knoppix installed ?", because a Knoppix HD install can be unstable and is very difficult to support/administrate. System stability & ease of use/administration of a Knoppix HD install has been discussed in depth at http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=87176#87176. Read that & find out why many of us do not recommend a HD installation.