Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: HDD install - IPOD mini

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    12

    HDD install - IPOD mini

    Hi,

    Does anyone have an IPOD mini working with the HDD install? I'm having trouble accessing mine. Dmesg shows that it's detecting a USB device, but it doesn't seem to assign it to UBA1 or anything.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    No experience of iPod, but try (as root):

    mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt

    cd to /mnt and see if you can see anything.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    12
    I can try later today, but shouldn't it be UBA-something? I'm connecting with USB. I thought I read somewhere that Knoppix only uses this UBA thing for USB, and not the SDA thing anymore.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Pretty sure it should be sda1 (it could be sda).

    Anyway, try it. Then you'll need something like:


    /dev/sda1 /mnt/iPod vfat rw,noauto,sync 0 0

    in your /etc/fstab

    (of course, you'll have to do -- as root --

    cd /mnt
    mkdir iPod

    )

    Let us know how you get on: the sync entry is important for mass storage devices.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    12
    No luck! I get "not a valid block device." Any other suggestions?

    Thanks for the help.

    BTW, I have kernel 2.6.11.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Quote Originally Posted by evan
    No luck! I get "not a valid block device." Any other suggestions?
    Is the iPod powered up and on? I ask because this was exactly the error message I used to get when my Neuros wasn't running: in effect, you're trying to mount a dead device which the OS sees as no device whatsoever.

    Other than that, I'm stumped.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    12
    Yeah, it's giving me the "don't disconnect" message.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Ah, I've just discovered that some iPods are formatted vfat (as are all Neuroses, iRivers and so on) while others are formatted hfss (wierd harold Mac format). Here for details.

    So -- given you have support for the strange Mac filing system -- then

    mount -t hfsplus /dev/sda3 /mnt

    should do it

    if not, try

    mount -t hfsplus /dev/sda3 /mnt/

    But the url above looks very useful.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    12
    Thanks. I will try that tonight and post the results.

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    12
    No luck. I got "not a valid block device."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. iPod mini with Knoppix
    By jan4 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-27-2005, 03:35 PM
  2. iPod
    By zawi in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-18-2005, 04:05 AM
  3. Need Tips on PMI install to a 4G iPod with stock FAT32format
    By DataSurfer in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-22-2005, 08:33 AM
  4. iPod
    By probono in forum Klik
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-06-2004, 01:48 AM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-13-2003, 09:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB 3.5

Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB 3.5" SAS ST4000NM0025

$22.00



Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5

Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408

$354.99



New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD

$137.59



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99



Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



Hitachi  / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD

$29.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health

$78.00



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$69.00



Seagate BarraCuda ST1000DM010 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive picture

Seagate BarraCuda ST1000DM010 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive

$63.99



HDD 3.5

HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy

$35.00