Knoppix boots with a splash screen. At that splash screen you can enter codes which will force Knoppix to do certan things. Theses codes are known as Cheat Codes. The one you need is nosmp, and you will boot the PC with:
knoppix nosmp
Hi,
I have a Ralink 2500 PCI wlan interface. The driver for this, rt2500, does not support SMP kernels. Every time I try to configure the wlan, the computer freezes hard with no error messages anywhere. I've discovered that these are the expected symptoms for this problem.
So, how can I boot knoppix without SMP? Do I have to rebuild the kernel without SMP support? I don't think there's a nosmp parameter during boot, and I can't find a non-SMP kernel on the CD. Too bad, I think it would have been worth the 1MB of space, this is probably not the only case where SMP causes some unstability somehow, so it would be useful to disable (if it's not already possible!).
Cheers,
Ketil
Knoppix boots with a splash screen. At that splash screen you can enter codes which will force Knoppix to do certan things. Theses codes are known as Cheat Codes. The one you need is nosmp, and you will boot the PC with:
knoppix nosmp
I have the same request but I have a HDD install... how can I then do the no smp?
As root user, edit the /boot/grub/menu.list file.
Find the default boot entry which is usually the first one. You may see a section like:You must add the nosmp to the end of that kernel line.Code:title Debian GNU/Linux root (hd0,0) kernel /boot/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 nomce quiet fromhd=/dev/null bootfrom=/dev/hda1/*.iso config=scan home=scan noprompt initrd /boot/initrd
Then save it & reboot.
It should boot with nosmp by default.

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00
HP Z440 Workstation TWR Xeon E5-1603 v3, 8GB RAM, NVS310, SB1570, NO SSD/OS #95
$89.99
Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49
Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98
Intel Xeon W-3245 16-Core 3.2GHz (SRFFD) Apple MAC PRO A1991 CPU Processor
$199.99
Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU
$7.95
Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99
Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10
$109.99