Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Demo Disk

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1

    Demo Disk

    Well, I'm going through the process of remastering Knoppix to make a nice branded demo CD for a product, and now I've got a basic question:

    Am I allowed to create a demo disk based on Knoppix containing my own proprietary software, which is under a traditional closed-source license? It's definitely a demo disk, and all the software installed is redistributable - but it is closed-source. I can't see any way for this to cause a licensing conflict... but if anyone has more information than I do (which is probably everyone here), I'd certainly be grateful if you could help me out.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    HI!
    Obviously you are knowledgable about the implications of mixing close/non-Free versus open/Free software. See this posts where I dscribe the problem of creating a remaster with VMWare on it. http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=80161#80161

    I am pretty sure you can not bind what was once a freely distributable CD of freesoftware to the closed distribution terms of a non-free package. So the only solution I see is to explicitly allow redistreibution of your demo files/binaries and explicitlly deny modficiation. I would create a warning or caution message that would appear in at a minimum of 4 places so there is no possible chance that the message could be overlooked:
    - Boot screen where cheat codes are entered
    - During the loading process where it detects the systems RAM (in the /cd-root/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz compressed loopback ext2 file, in the linuxrc script)
    - When the KDE desktop if fully loaded Konqueror comes up with a welcome to Knoppix message
    - When you run the demo program.

    "ATTENTION! This CD is based on open source & free software. With the exception of *your-demo-program's-name*, you may redistribute & modify all other programs under their respective FOSS license terms. *your-demo-program's-name* is a product of *your-company's-name* and does not allow modification but does allow redistribution by copying the CD. Visit *your-demo-program's-name* website for more information "

    As with all things on the internet, I am not a laywer. You may need to seek legal counsel.
    I hope this helps.
    James

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix for web-app demo
    By Enygma in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-04-2004, 08:53 PM
  2. Knoppix running MS office demo CD
    By knopstar in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-27-2004, 05:08 AM
  3. Mambo demo CD
    By mambobrian in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-30-2004, 11:24 AM
  4. Problems with demo linux..........
    By cowmamba in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-13-2003, 01:20 AM
  5. AOL Client? for Demo use
    By in forum Ideas
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-01-2003, 07:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$71.49



MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ... picture

MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ...

$89.99



Asus Prime B660M-A AC D4 Motherboard Intel LGA 1700 14th 13th 12th Gen DDR4 picture

Asus Prime B660M-A AC D4 Motherboard Intel LGA 1700 14th 13th 12th Gen DDR4

$79.99



Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Motherboard picture

Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Motherboard

$54.99



ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard picture

ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard

$351.99