Your post is a bit confusing. I think the NIC that you have is a 1000/100/10 card that hooks up by wire. But you say you are using an "access point", which is a term that is used to imply a wireless connection. Are you actually hooking up to a D-link router by wired connection?

You may well have some driver support issue in using a new 1000 mbit interface. That can't be helped by using an older version of Knoppix. I would suggest that you get one of the 3.8.x releases or even the bootleg 4.0 DVD, or wait a little while until the officail 4.0 C and DVD are released (I have no idea when they will actually be released, I check a few times a day and sure hope they will be released officially soon). 3.9 is buggy and brings little to the table, I would avoid it. I do not actually know if a newer version of Knoppix will have the drivers you need.

You might also consider putting in a normal 100/10 NIC. You're not gaining anything at all by using a 1000/100/10 NIC if you hook it up to a device that does not support 1000 mbit connections, and it seems to be causing you problems.

We have a networking forum. Why in the world did you not post this there?????