Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: SGI O2 and Octane

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2

    SGI O2 and Octane

    I own an O2 and an Octane. Having problems booting knoppix, gives me a "header invalid" message. Can any one help?

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Knoppix is targeted for i386 and upwards compatable CPUs including the AMD. To my knowledge the Octane contains a RISC R12000 and the O2 contains a R10000. Do you have any reason to expect Knoppix to run on it? Do you run other software designed to be booted on a PC on those systems? Or, giving in to my more sarcastic nature, have you tried booting the Knoppix CD in your microwave?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2

    No help, don't bother.

    Well pardon me. As Knoppix is based on Linux, I did expect to have it work on my machine. I was told there would be helpful people here, obviously a wrong assesment.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: No help, don't bother.

    Quote Originally Posted by MouncleG
    Well pardon me. As Knoppix is based on Linux, I did expect to have it work on my machine. I was told there would be helpful people here, obviously a wrong assesment.
    Well, that's rather harsh. I though I did try to help you. It's hardly my fault that Knoppix doesn't boot on an SGI workstation with a different CPU. And you have an SGI Workstation, not a MAC or another common computer. Maybe I'm dead wrong here, but I rather expect people who drive a Ferrarii to know it takes premium gas, and I expect people with SGI workstations to have an understanding that it has a different CPU in it that more mainstream systems and be able to draw a conclusion about that when they find that a CD made for use on PC does not boot. But I explained it anyway. I did make a joke about it, but I though I did it in a way that made it quite clear I was joking around.

    In what way did my response provide any less help than I otherwise could have?

    While Knoppix is a Live CD made for PC type systems, you seem to have identified the solution yourself. Knoppix is a Linux release based on Debian Linux. Why not download a Debian CD (the version intended for your hardware) and install Linux from that?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE picture

Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE

$225.00



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Lot of 9 Used IPitomy IP320-P HD POE Voice Speakerphone 12-Line VoIP Phone picture

Lot of 9 Used IPitomy IP320-P HD POE Voice Speakerphone 12-Line VoIP Phone

$225.00



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Grandstream HT801 Answering Machine VoIP Home Phone Adapter Ethernet Black picture

Grandstream HT801 Answering Machine VoIP Home Phone Adapter Ethernet Black

$29.99



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99