Thanks for the advice on two quick commands to install povray. This I don't mind doing once. Here are the issues:


1) Official POV-Ray 3.6 linux version:
( http://povray.org/download/ )
GUI for modelling: doesn't have it. No loss.
GUI for script editing: doesn't have it. Minor loss.
GUI for initiating render: doesn't have it. I sorely miss it as seen in the Windows verison. I personally hate typing out long redundant commands every time I want to check a scene. Many linux pov-vers however swear by it.

2) KPovModeller:
(on Knoppix 4.0 DVD)
GUI for modelling: Has it. Not much value add IMNSHO for most advanced users.
GUI for script editing: Sorta has it, but obtusely there.
GUI for initiating render: Has it, but povray rendering engine (actually a separate app) is outright missing from Knoppix 4.0 distribution.

3) QTPOV
( http://qtpoveditor.sourceforge.net/ )
GUI for modelling: doesn't have it. No loss.
GUI for script editing: Lovely. Just as cool and even more value-add than the Windows version.
GUI for initiating render: Has it. (would need a povray rendering engine, a separate app, "too" however) .