-
No sound w/ Live CD - onboard sound card, Asus/Via
Hi,
I am a total newbie to Linux, albeit a knowledgeable user of DOS and Windows (since DOS 3.0). Decided to try Linux since I've always been sympathetic to the open source movement and am really tired of the drag on my wallet by MS.
I'm testing the Knoppix and SimplyMepis Live CDs. Knoppix 4.0 DVD, and SimplyMepis 3.3. I actually tested others, but these are the only two that essentially worked with the fewest problems. Ubuntu/Kubuntu, for example, won't mount hard drives by default (how stupid is that?), PCLinuxOS installs but drops to text mode (I really don't feel like learning DOS again, so to speak!).
With Knoppix, all indications are that the sound is working (Kmix shows everything is on, sound is enabled in K Center, etc.), but I can't hear anything! I've checked the boards, but can find no obvious solution. I do apologize beforehand, but part of the issue is that I need handholding. It's more than possible that I missed something basic in my search -- a manual or something on the Wiki that walks one through sound configuration problems, and shows how to use the command-line utilities on a step-by-step basis. Feel free to point me to the right resource(s), in a piecemeal fashion if necessary.
Here are the relevant specs of my computer: an ASUS A7V600 motherboard, with the VIA KT600 and VT8237 chipsets, ADI AD1980 SoundMAX 6-channel onboard
Thanks!
-
Senior Member
registered user
I have a motherboard with the VIA KT800 and VT8237 chipsets. In order to play sound, I have to connect my stereo desktop speakers via "Line in", not "Line out". Strange, but maybe it's the same problem with your board.
-
Thanks, I'll try it. That really weird, though!
Similar Threads
-
By Iost in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-26-2004, 02:47 AM
-
By Sukrillux in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-12-2004, 05:39 AM
-
By darkhack in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-26-2004, 05:51 AM
-
By luwe in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-21-2004, 10:19 PM
-
By Kurst_Putz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-30-2003, 01:21 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC
$40.00

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI
$44.00

Atari OS & Memory Expansion Cartridges Lot - Untested Possibly For Parts/Repairs
$149.97

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25

READ UNTESTED But Works Vintage Atari 410 Program Recorder
$34.50