Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: No sound w/ Live CD - onboard sound card, Asus/Via

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2

    No sound w/ Live CD - onboard sound card, Asus/Via

    Hi,

    I am a total newbie to Linux, albeit a knowledgeable user of DOS and Windows (since DOS 3.0). Decided to try Linux since I've always been sympathetic to the open source movement and am really tired of the drag on my wallet by MS.

    I'm testing the Knoppix and SimplyMepis Live CDs. Knoppix 4.0 DVD, and SimplyMepis 3.3. I actually tested others, but these are the only two that essentially worked with the fewest problems. Ubuntu/Kubuntu, for example, won't mount hard drives by default (how stupid is that?), PCLinuxOS installs but drops to text mode (I really don't feel like learning DOS again, so to speak!).

    With Knoppix, all indications are that the sound is working (Kmix shows everything is on, sound is enabled in K Center, etc.), but I can't hear anything! I've checked the boards, but can find no obvious solution. I do apologize beforehand, but part of the issue is that I need handholding. It's more than possible that I missed something basic in my search -- a manual or something on the Wiki that walks one through sound configuration problems, and shows how to use the command-line utilities on a step-by-step basis. Feel free to point me to the right resource(s), in a piecemeal fashion if necessary.

    Here are the relevant specs of my computer: an ASUS A7V600 motherboard, with the VIA KT600 and VT8237 chipsets, ADI AD1980 SoundMAX 6-channel onboard

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    228
    I have a motherboard with the VIA KT800 and VT8237 chipsets. In order to play sound, I have to connect my stereo desktop speakers via "Line in", not "Line out". Strange, but maybe it's the same problem with your board.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2
    Thanks, I'll try it. That really weird, though!

Similar Threads

  1. Glitchy sound with SB Live Value sound card
    By Iost in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-26-2004, 02:47 AM
  2. belkin network card and apollo onboard sound...
    By Sukrillux in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-12-2004, 05:39 AM
  3. Onboard i865 sound card problem
    By darkhack in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-26-2004, 05:51 AM
  4. onboard via sound and sb live
    By luwe in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-21-2004, 10:19 PM
  5. ASUS p4b533 m/b sound card driver/compile question
    By Kurst_Putz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-30-2003, 01:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays

$599.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00