-
Junior Member
registered user
Booting Problem with my laptop(Acer Aspire 1692ELMi)
I've just download the knoppix 3.9 yesterday and burn the image into a cd today. But when I try to boot it from disc, it only able to reach until the loading kernal part. After that, I just got a blank screen and everything is not running at all. All my disc drive, hdd are not running.
Is there anything different that I'll need to boot up in a laptop?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Booting Problem with my laptop(Acer Aspire 1692ELMi)

Originally Posted by
Yuanlong
I've just download the knoppix 3.9 yesterday and burn the image into a cd today. But when I try to boot it from disc, it only able to reach until the loading kernal part. After that, I just got a blank screen and everything is not running at all. All my disc drive, hdd are not running.
Is there anything different that I'll need to boot up in a laptop?
Try this:
boot: knoppix vga=normal nodma noapic noacpi pnpbios=off acpi=off noapm debug -b 3
If that doesn't work, try this:
boot: failsafe debug -b 3
You can then whittle away the options to find the minimal set you need to boot your laptop.
Let us know what works.
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/
-
Re: Booting Problem with my laptop(Acer Aspire 1692ELMi)

Originally Posted by
rwcitek

Originally Posted by
Yuanlong
I've just download the knoppix 3.9 yesterday and burn the image into a cd today. But when I try to boot it from disc, it only able to reach until the loading kernal part. After that, I just got a blank screen and everything is not running at all. All my disc drive, hdd are not running.
Is there anything different that I'll need to boot up in a laptop?
Try this:
boot: knoppix vga=normal nodma noapic noacpi pnpbios=off acpi=off noapm debug -b 3
If that doesn't work, try this:
boot: failsafe debug -b 3
You can then whittle away the options to find the minimal set you need to boot your laptop.
Let us know what works.
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/
Robert,
Thanks for taking the time to post a solution.
I had the same problem. The first command set above resulted in something that looked like a distorted, large bar code appearing on my screen. It refreshed slowly down the screen every 10 seconds or so. I let that go for a few minutes but then hit the power off.
The second command set was more promising. I got through a few "exits" and a Control-D. I then got a command line that said "root@tty1[/]". I googled this and found that I had to type "su" and hit enter. I got the same "root@tty1[/]" and then typed "startx" and hit enter. That got me into Knoppix.
However, my touchpad was all screwed up. I've rebooted a couple of times and don't really know how I did it but now the mouse is working......that probably doesn't help anyone who is reading this but hey, at least I can use my mouse now! :P
Stephen
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Booting Problem with my laptop(Acer Aspire 1692ELMi)

Originally Posted by
Undy

Originally Posted by
rwcitek
boot: knoppix vga=normal nodma noapic noacpi pnpbios=off acpi=off noapm debug -b 3
I had the same problem. The first command set above resulted in something that looked like a distorted, large bar code appearing on my screen. It refreshed slowly down the screen every 10 seconds or so. I let that go for a few minutes but then hit the power off.
Interesting. So you never got to a shell prompt?

Originally Posted by
Undy

Originally Posted by
rwcitek
boot: failsafe debug -b 3
The second command set was more promising. I got through a few "exits" and a Control-D. I then got a command line that said "root@tty1[/]". I googled this and found that I had to type "su" and hit enter. I got the same "root@tty1[/]" and then typed "startx" and hit enter. That got me into Knoppix.
More correctly, you started the X11, the windowing system. You've been in "Knoppix" from the time you hit the Enter key at the boot prompt. 
BTW, you probably want to enter graphics mode by typing 'init 5' instead of 'startx'.

Originally Posted by
Undy
However, my touchpad was all screwed up. I've rebooted a couple of times and don't really know how I did it but now the mouse is working......that probably doesn't help anyone who is reading this but hey, at least I can use my mouse now!
No doubt. "failsafe" uses a bunch of cheatcodes to turn a lot of things off, so I'm surprised your mouse works at all. The trick is to find the minimal set of cheatcodes you need to make things work. Have a look at the wiki page for a list of the cheatcodes each of the various kernel labels uses.
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/
Similar Threads
-
By alex76gr in forum Laptops
Replies: 7
Last Post: 05-01-2009, 01:09 AM
-
By istrale2 in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-04-2008, 10:50 PM
-
By PatrickT in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-25-2006, 03:19 AM
-
By stevlev in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-29-2005, 08:12 PM
-
By Graham Neal in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-27-2004, 12:35 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond
$140.00

Vintage Apple Assembly Line Newsletter Vol: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 From 1984
$179.99

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED
$80.00

Retro Vintage Apple M0110A Compact Wired Mechanical keyboard for Macintosh Plus
$64.95

Vintage Apple Macintosh LC M0350 Desktop No Harddrive No Power Supply - Parts
$71.95

Vintage Apple Keyboard II Mo487 In Black
$300.00

Vintage Apple AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone MC745LL/A COLLECTIBLE ONLY
$20.00

Vintage Apple III Joystick Cursor III - A3M0010
$99.00

Apple cloth fabric banner iBook bondi blue orange NOS Vintage
$99.00

Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand
$275.00