Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Knoppix DHCP help needed !

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Knoppix DHCP help needed !

    Hi,

    I'm using 04.15 Knoppix from CdRom.
    Everything boots fine, eth0 mentionned during boot and ipconfig gives MAC.

    However my DHCP/DNS isn't found, so network isn't available.

    I tried :
    pump -i eth0
    modconf
    netcardconfig
    ...


    What am I doing wrong ? Where can I specify the lan-ip-range/mask to be used ? (remember I'm using knoppix from CdRom)

    Thanks

    SB

  2. #2
    Found partly solution :

    Removing and re-installing followed by pump -i eth0 solves the problem.

    However, even after saving this new config to floppy, at next reboot the problem is back (even when rebooting with nodhcp)

    When doing agin modconf, at re-install, it shows the values saved on the floppy.

    Why doesn't Knoppix manage to get the eth0 started correctly ?

    Thanks

    SB

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Have you tried using static settings if your ISP allows you to use them I have not had any problems with either dhcp or static settings so it could be problems with your connection.

    It could be the lease you got before you rebooted to knoppix. ie. You already had obtained a dhcp connection reboot and knoppix tries to get a dhcp connection and your ISP already thinks you are still connected through the old connection that has not expired.

  4. #4
    Hi, thx for replying

    I'm using my own DHCP-server, and don't have any problems with other os's (Linux, Win$, ...) connecting and I am re-using non-expired (dynamic) leases all the time.

    I'm more thinking about the default settings used by the network-driver during Bootup. The networkcard I'm using has 3 connections (Utp, Bnc, AUI) and it might well be the wrong one used during boot.

    But I asume this can't be changed as I'm booting from CdRom ?

    Kind regards

    SB

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Sitting Bull
    I'm more thinking about the default settings used by the network-driver during Bootup. The networkcard I'm using has 3 connections (Utp, Bnc, AUI) and it might well be the wrong one used during boot.

    But I asume this can't be changed as I'm booting from CdRom ?
    I think you are probably right you could file a bug on the package, that way someone could look into the problem and maybe solve it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    What kind of NIC?

    and what kind of dhcp server?

    rock

  7. #7
    NIC : 3com 3c900B-COMBO with UTP BNC AUI
    DHCP-server : Wingate-proxy

    On the same hardware used for Knoppix, this combination works with other os'es like Linux Win$ .... Of course, in those cases settings (port used) are saved to HD, but as far I remember, autosense made the nic/lan working automatically.

  8. #8
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    I may have an answer for you

    Please see the threads I posted under Evidence WinXP "security updates" may break Linux and Knoppix using NatSemi DP83815 stopped working and see if it looks like what has happened to you too. I suspect this was deliberately done to you by Microsoft, but if you post back that the system you are using has not run Windows since you started using Knopix then I'm wrong and it would be helpful to know that.

Similar Threads

  1. starting DHCP server in Knoppix
    By tweaked in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-14-2004, 05:27 PM
  2. How does Knoppix background dhcp?
    By J0hnP1pe in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-16-2004, 01:22 PM
  3. Networking notworking, DHCP on Knoppix 3.3
    By Li Gwai Lo in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-09-2003, 01:55 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-02-2003, 12:01 AM
  5. DHCP & knoppix 1/20/03
    By rec9140 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-24-2003, 07:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX4400-EM-4S expansion modules picture

Juniper EX4400-EM-4S expansion modules

$599.00



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99



Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99 picture

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99

$24.99



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper JNP-3000W-AC-AFO / New / 1 Year Warranty / Ships Today picture

Juniper JNP-3000W-AC-AFO / New / 1 Year Warranty / Ships Today

$2995.00



Juniper RE-850-1536-S-D Routing Engine Board picture

Juniper RE-850-1536-S-D Routing Engine Board

$189.95



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99



Juniper Networks AP33 Wireless Access Point Bluetooth WiFi 6 Cloud Managed NIB picture

Juniper Networks AP33 Wireless Access Point Bluetooth WiFi 6 Cloud Managed NIB

$54.99