Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Installing Knoppix on One Windows Partitioned Hard Drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2

    Installing Knoppix on One Windows Partitioned Hard Drive

    Hey, I just posted this in the HDD Install Forum but I thiink it might be better served here:

    I'm running Windows 2000 and Windows recognizes that my single hard drive is partitioned into C and D. D is completely unformatted with nothing on it. However, there is only one physical drive, I originally did the partitioning during the Windows 2000 installation.

    How can I install Knoppix to the D drive? I don't want to wipe away my C drive but it didn't allow a D to be selected when it came to the hard drive selection.

    Also, I think I accidently clicked Okay when I was pressing quit and it said that my C disc was Read - Only and I didn't have the permissions.

    Can anyone help?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    202
    create 2 partitions in D:
    one ext3 partition 5GB or more
    one swap partition 1GB or less (128MB minimum)

    I like Norton Ghost for this job but in knoppix CD there is qtparted tool

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: Installing Knoppix on One Windows Partitioned Hard Drive

    Quote Originally Posted by nmitchell
    Can anyone help?
    I answered your questions in the HD install forum which is where this post belongs.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    202

    Re: Installing Knoppix on One Windows Partitioned Hard Drive

    Quote Originally Posted by UnderScore
    Quote Originally Posted by nmitchell
    Can anyone help?
    I answered your questions in the HD install forum which is where this post belongs.
    but in your answer there is not a word about MS Windows tools for partitioning ( Ghost, Paragon Manager etc)
    why?

    ... pienso que el que está meando fuera del tarro es Ud. ...

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: Installing Knoppix on One Windows Partitioned Hard Drive

    Quote Originally Posted by oscar
    but in your answer there is not a word about MS Windows tools for partitioning ( Ghost, Paragon Manager etc)
    why?

    ... pienso que el que está meando fuera del tarro es Ud. ...
    The Windows partitioning tools can only make blank partitions & can not format a partition for Linux.
    The knoppix installer will automatically start qtparted to partition the HD.
    Reading the HD Install HowTo and watching a flash video is very educational & explains the need for not just 1 partition but 2 partitions.

    You provided no help to this user and instead have wasted time to critque me.
    Usted es demasiado divertido.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    202

    Re: Installing Knoppix on One Windows Partitioned Hard Drive

    [quote="UnderScore"]
    Quote Originally Posted by oscar
    The Windows partitioning tools can only make blank partitions & can not format a partition for Linux.
    .
    ¿are you kidding or is something worse?

    ...but I am wrong too... I am talking about Partition Manager or Paragon Manager (btw there is a linux version of Paragon Manager too)
    Ghost is for backup as almost everybody knows including me...



    ...sigue meando fuera del tarro...

Similar Threads

  1. Installing GIS-Knoppix on a hard drive.
    By mapmatthew in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-21-2005, 03:09 PM
  2. Installing Knoppix on One Partitioned Hard Drive
    By nmitchell in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-11-2005, 10:09 PM
  3. Installing knoppix to hard drive
    By Torgo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-10-2005, 01:39 PM
  4. installing knoppix on hard drive
    By DimGR in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-30-2004, 06:39 PM
  5. Installing Knoppix on hard drive
    By sridharb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-30-2003, 06:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$169.99



Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor

$175.00



AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor

$250.00



Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS picture

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS

$259.98



AMD RYZEN 7 9800X3D 8-Core, 16-Thread Desktop Processor picture

AMD RYZEN 7 9800X3D 8-Core, 16-Thread Desktop Processor

$399.00



Intel Xeon E-2478 2.8Ghz 24MB Cache 8 Core FCLGA1700 Server Processor CPU SRMX7 picture

Intel Xeon E-2478 2.8Ghz 24MB Cache 8 Core FCLGA1700 Server Processor CPU SRMX7

$599.95



AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor

$59.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00



HP EliteBook 840 G5 Laptop Intel Core i5 7200U 8GB RAM – No HDD picture

HP EliteBook 840 G5 Laptop Intel Core i5 7200U 8GB RAM – No HDD

$64.00