-
Firnsy,
Can you please post or send the modification to the init script? And also let me know how I integrate it with the Knoppix DVD image? I have two machines side by side, each running molecular modeling software with Knoppix as OS, and it is a pain rebooting, as I have to 'su' then 'hostname Athlon64' BEFORE I start Samba. That does work for me, however, and it allows the Windoze boxes to see seperate machines on the network neighborhood.
-

Originally Posted by
trevmar
Firnsy, Can you please post or send the modification to the init script?
Same request: could you please post your update of linuxrc ?
I would like to add this functionality in my initrd_iso.gz ramdisk boot file.
I can obviously reinvent the wheel but I am lazy by nature...
Thanks, Gilles
-
hostname= cheatcode
Done !
I modified the linuxrc boot script to setup the hostname at boot time (kernel cheatcode: hostname=mymachine)
Please follow the link below to get the updated minirt_host.gz ramdisk file:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=96827#96827
Please give it a try and give me some feedback.
Thanks,
Gilles
-
Alternatively, I posted my patch in the Customising/Remastering section http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22301
It expands a little further by providing an autogenerating option which will append the MACADDRESS to at the end of the knoppix string.
-

Originally Posted by
firnsy
Alternatively, I posted my patch in the Customising/Remastering section
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22301
It expands a little further by providing an autogenerating option which will append the MACADDRESS to at the end of the knoppix string.
Thank you very much !
I will try to add your macaddress hostname option when I have some time.
The solution I have chosen do not require a remaster of the 689MB KNOPPIX file
but only the use of the new 2.4MB minirt_host.gz boot ramdisk.
It will work "as is" with the official KNOPPIX file or the official Knoppix ISO cd/dvd image.
cf: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=96827#96827
Technical description:
==============
The trick was to find a way (using the linuxrc boot script) to have
the hostname updated way after the end of the execution of the linuxrc boot script
and after the end of the execution of the knoppix-autoconfig auto detection script.
(The knoppix-autoconfig script is responsible for the hardcoded knoppix hostname)
The knoppix-autoconfig script file being located within the 700MB KNOPPIX file
an update of this file requires a remaster, which in my case, was not desirable.
To achieve this, the linuxrc boot script overwrite the content of the file /etc/hostname
with the hostname provided in the kernel command line (after the UNIONfs has been mounted)
Then, to force Knoppix to read this file after the linuxrc boot script and the knoppix-autoconfig
auto detection script have run and setup the machine hostname to the hardcoded knoppix name,
the linuxrc create a soft link (ln -s /etc/init.d/hostname.sh /etc/rcS.d/S01hostname.sh)
in order to have the init process to launch the execution of the hostname.sh script
which is used to update the machine hostname using the previously updated /etc/hostname file.
CQFD.
Best Regards,
Gilles
-
Hello,
If someone is till interested in that, I now have added the option to use dynamic hostnames:
hostname=auto-clock -> knoppix-200512031753 (date+time)
hostname=auto-mac -> knoppix-123456789012 (eth0 mac address)
cf: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=96986#96986
Cheers,
Gilles
-
Brilliant
I love it do you not?:I:I
-
ruymbeke,
I have changed the minirt.gz on my Knoppix 4.0.2 distribution DVD to your 25 Dec 2005 version of minirt-usb2.gz
when I give the boot string 'knoppix hostname=Athlon64' the system boots OK. The hostname is Athlon64
but Samba is awfully slow. If I select a volume from my Windows 2000 Pro machine it takes maybe 2 minutes to log in, and then another 2 minutes to show me files.
when I give the command 'su' I get the following error message:
'sudo: unable to lookup Athlon64 via gethostbyname()'
I guess I can live without su, but have you any idea what I can do to speed up the Samba access?
Thanks for all you are doing for the community,
Trevor
-

Originally Posted by
trevmar
ruymbeke,
I have changed the minirt.gz on my Knoppix 4.0.2 distribution DVD to your 25 Dec 2005 version of minirt-usb2.gz
when I give the boot string 'knoppix hostname=Athlon64' the system boots OK. The hostname is Athlon64
but Samba is awfully slow. If I select a volume from my Windows 2000 Pro machine it takes maybe 2 minutes to log in, and then another 2 minutes to show me files.
when I give the command 'su' I get the following error message:
'sudo: unable to lookup Athlon64 via gethostbyname()'
I guess I can live without su, but have you any idea what I can do to speed up the Samba access?
Thanks for all you are doing for the community,
Trevor
The reason for the error is that the /etc/hosts file does not have the machine name assigned to the local ip (127.0.0.1), from what I can determine, ruymbeke's method changes the hostname but does not modify the /etc/hosts file which is required.
-
Yes, of course, Firnsy, thanks for reminding me
I will set up the hosts file manually for now
Thanks again
Similar Threads
-
By firnsy in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-01-2005, 11:09 AM
-
By hall in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-29-2005, 01:01 PM
-
By bongski55 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-15-2003, 10:19 AM
-
By WimG in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 09-27-2003, 04:16 PM
-
By jensen in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-18-2003, 10:30 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer
$2999.99

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503
$109.99

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates
$36.00

Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board
$24.99

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare
$179.00

Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable
$75.00

Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01
$127.06

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+
$209.99

NOB VINTAGE Earthlink MailStation Standard 120 - Email Appliance
$29.99

Pinnacle Systems GmbH BigBen-51015544-1.2A PCI Video Capture Card
$26.21