-
attempting new install of 3.9 on Compaq workstation
I am brand new to Linux . This is my first introduction ever. I have an old Compaq workstation , not sure what model. I am running windows XP and am attempting to install Knoppix linux 3.9. when I get a few min into the boot up from the cd I get a msg about pressing the space bar, then it does some things and then the monitor goes "nuts" I get a bunch of color lines . I tried several monitors and they all do the same thing. Is this a Bios issue? Can anyone offer some advise
-
Senior Member
registered user
You mention that you intend to install Knoppix 3.9 to the HD but then mention the problems while booting up.
First, lets clear up the booting/hardware issues & then decide if you want to install Knoppix 3.9.
Knoppix boots with a splash screen. At that splash screen you can enter codes which will force Knoppix to do certain things. Theses codes are known as Cheat Codes. You may need to enter some codes that allow it to make sure of your system's hardware. You may need to boot it with:
knoppix vga=normal screen=800x600 xvrefresh=60
Also, we need more info. Look at your request for help from my point of view: I have no idea what your system is like. Is it s laptop? A server? A desktop? On what hardware? Pentium4-3.0GHz? Pentium3 700Mhz? Beside the strange lines & graphics problems, are there any error messages?
We need more into to help you.
-
I have a p3 1000mhz desktop w256k ram 18.6gig hd, It came w/windows 2000 pro, I upraded to xp.
I want to load linux 3.9 and use that instead of xp.
I boot from cd ( to install operating system) and after given the video choises I hit the space key then it looks like it looks for kb, cd ext....
Then the next thing I know the screen goes "nuts".
I have only ever had experience with windows . Am I installing linux correctly?
-
I took the option (cheat code ) 1 and I got part that but eventually the install stops and i gat a mesege about card not recognized.
Is their a ref I can look on how to install Linux for a newbe like me? Any links to such a place would be great
Similar Threads
-
By marmeduke in forum General Support
Replies: 24
Last Post: 01-29-2010, 07:14 AM
-
By wijaya in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-27-2007, 09:57 AM
-
By FONE_STAR in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-15-2006, 09:03 AM
-
By shane25119 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-16-2004, 07:53 PM
-
By eco2geek in forum The Lounge
Replies: 8
Last Post: 05-19-2004, 01:43 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km
$15.99

Intel Xeon E5-2699 v3 18 Core 2.3 GHz 45MB SR1XD LGA 2011-3 B Grade
$15.95

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11
$149.00

Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TS-S01U00
$279.00