-
Garbage display once X started
I have a system based on the Intel i810 chipset, using the onboard video.
When booting the 3.9 CD, there are a couple of issues:
1. (minor) I get the message "You passed an undefined mode number."
This is not a big problem; I type 0 and things continue on.
2. (major) X fails to start. It gives me a garbage display.
(Typing ctrl-alt-F2 [or F1/etc] does work okay to get me to a
alternate virtual text console.)
I've done some searching here and found that I can get X to work by
initially giving the "3" argument to "Boot:" and then typing (once I get
the prompt):
modprobe intel_agp
startx
I've noticed that other people using Intel chipsets are experiencing
the same problem. Perhaps a bug fix is in order?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Same thing on my computer (Intel 815e chipset). Solution: When the message comes up, don't press any key, just wait for 30 seconds.
-
For me, waiting avoids the first (minor) problem, but not the second (major) problem.
In any case, I shouldn't have to wait, either.
-
Senior Member
registered user
>>
I have a system based on the Intel i810 chipset, using the onboard video.
.
.
.
I've done some searching here and found that I can get X to work by
.
.
.
modprobe intel_agp
startx
>>
I'll hazard a suggestion ... X isn't matching the server with the chipset ... hmmmm, ok, obviously. But that would be about the only real attack avenue.
X possibly dosen't support or fully support the on board video ??? ... what would be its' closest match. I take it that your not using a card...
It may be best to use a card. If i got that wrong all appologies.
jm
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Garbage display once X started

Originally Posted by
Anonymous Hamster
I have a system based on the Intel i810 chipset, using the onboard video. When booting the 3.9 CD, there are a couple of issues:
1. (minor) I get the message "You passed an undefined mode number."
This is not a big problem; I type 0 and things continue on.
Try booting with boot: knoppix vga=0 Specifying vga=0 is the same as typing in 0 later.

Originally Posted by
Anonymous Hamster
2. (major) X fails to start. It gives me a garbage display.
(Typing ctrl-alt-F2 [or F1/etc] does work okay to get me to a
alternate virtual text console.)
Try booting with boot: knoppix vga=0 3. Then when you are at the shell prompt, type:
modprobe intel_agp
init 5
You may also want to try these other values for vga=: 769, 771, 773, 775. You may also want to try these values for xmodule=: i810, fbdev. For more cheatcodes.

Originally Posted by
Anonymous Hamster
Perhaps a bug fix is in order?
From what I understand, Klaus is aware of this issue with agp drivers not loading. IIRC, the error is in the script /etc/init.d/xsession:
less -iNX +/'should not' /etc/init.d/xsession
Let us know how things go. Since I don't have an Intel graphics card, I'm particularly curious to know if this works:
boot: knoppix vga=0 xmodule=i810
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/
-
Re: Garbage display once X started

Originally Posted by
rwcitek
Try booting with boot: knoppix vga=0 Specifying vga=0 is the same as typing in 0 later.
That fixes the first problem, not the second.

Originally Posted by
rwcitek
Try booting with
boot: knoppix vga=0 3. Then when you are at the shell prompt, type:
modprobe intel_agp
init 5
That works fine.

Originally Posted by
rwcitek
You may also want to try these other values for vga=: 769, 771, 773, 775. You may also want to try these values for xmodule=: i810, fbdev. For more
cheatcodes.

Originally Posted by
Anonymous Hamster
Perhaps a bug fix is in order?
From what I understand, Klaus is aware of this issue with agp drivers not loading. IIRC, the error is in the script /etc/init.d/xsession:
less -iNX +/'should not' /etc/init.d/xsession
Let us know how things go. Since I don't have an Intel graphics card, I'm particularly curious to know if this works:
boot: knoppix vga=0 xmodule=i810
No, that doesn't work. xmodule is not the problem. The problem is with the AGP driver, not the video driver.
When I try the above, I get this series of messages:
Starting X11.....
Retrying with server XFree86(vesa) .
Retrying with server XFree86(fbdev) .
Error: No suitable X-server found for your card.
Of course, there's lots of video flashing between these messages.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Garbage display once X started

Originally Posted by
Anonymous Hamster

Originally Posted by
rwcitek
Try booting with
boot: knoppix vga=0 3. Then when you are at the shell prompt, type:
modprobe intel_agp
init 5
That works fine.
Excellent.

Originally Posted by
Anonymous Hamster

Originally Posted by
rwcitek
Since I don't have an Intel graphics card, I'm particularly curious to know if this works:
boot: knoppix vga=0 xmodule=i810
No, that doesn't work.
xmodule is not the problem. The problem is with the AGP driver, not the video driver.
True. But was worth a shot.
At this point, you know what works and have several options on how to fix it. Perhaps the simplest solution would be to uncomment the lines after the "Should not ... " in /etc/init.d/xsessions and then save your configuration to a USB stick or local harddrive either through using a persistent image (knoppix-mkimage) or saving the system configuration (saveconfig). You could also remaster the CD.
Let us know what works for you.
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/
-
THANKS!!!!
Something finally worked!!!! After weeks of searching the internet!
I love you guys!!!!!
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: THANKS!!!!

Originally Posted by
glennt
Something finally worked!!!! After weeks of searching the internet!
I love you guys!!!!!
Quite an unusual post for a first post, but congratulations on actually being able to search and find the information you need rather than asking the same question again. We have fondness for you too, although we have problems expressing it as love.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
I registered just to post that too cause im super duper excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Similar Threads
-
By Maner in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-09-2006, 06:10 AM
-
By agentchange in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-29-2006, 12:40 AM
-
By TheChemist187 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-22-2005, 05:13 AM
-
By s10237 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-09-2005, 03:08 PM
-
By ducman in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-30-2003, 01:49 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$49.99

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare
$1800.00

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE
$6299.00

Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k
$300.00

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond
$140.00

Apple Keyboard and Cable for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110
$129.99

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+
$209.99

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$59.99

Apple Keyboard for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 (010)
$149.00

Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs
$14.99