Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Ndiswrapper USB Live-CD

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5

    Ndiswrapper USB Live-CD

    Hi all,
    I just want to know if I should spend any effort trying to connect to the internet via a USB wireless adapter (Netgear MA111) if I am running from the LiveCD (Knoppix 3.9).
    When I tried the first step and did
    modprobe ndiswrapper
    I got the following
    FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.11/misc/ndispwrapper.ko): Operation not permitted

    My guess was that my harddisk is write protected that is why I got this message.

    The HDD has a non-working version of Win2K on it plus a bunch of files which I am not ready to discard just yet, so I don't know if making the Hard Disk readable would cause any damage to existing data on it.

    Any directions from this point forward would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5
    Hi all,
    Sorry to reply to my own question. But on re-reading it, I thought perhaps it was not phrased right.

    What I should have asked is
    a) Does Knoppix 3.9 come with the right ndiswrapper drivers for the NetGear MA111 wireless USB card? Not sure where I would find the answer to this, I looked around.
    b) If I choose to run Knoppix from the CD how would I install these drivers? (Since modprobe gives me that error message)

    b1) Am I having difficulty because by default the live CD makes the hard disk "read-only"?

    b2) Can I still install the drivers by removing the read-only property of the hard disk?

    b3) If I do that, will Knoppix be able to write to the hard disk w/o ruining whatever might there on the hard disk?

    Thanks

Similar Threads

  1. How to use ndiswrapper
    By 2k3autococker in forum Networking
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 03-03-2007, 08:20 AM
  2. NDiswrapper on 5.1.1
    By Protocol in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-21-2007, 03:05 AM
  3. 'modprobe ndiswrapper' cannot find ndiswrapper module
    By Kaishain in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-04-2006, 11:16 AM
  4. ndiswrapper
    By giant_toaster in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-23-2005, 09:09 AM
  5. apt-get & ndiswrapper
    By cyph3r in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-25-2004, 08:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS  PromBlaster picture

Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS PromBlaster

$895.00



Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1 picture

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1

$250.00



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE

$249.00



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



AU SELLER VINTAGE SOUND CARD RME DIGI 96/8 PRO

AU SELLER VINTAGE SOUND CARD RME DIGI 96/8 PRO "A" GRADE EXAMPLE -TESTED

$390.48



Bering OptiPac 3315 OPT 401 205 HP / IBM Vintage Storage PC Computer 1983 3.5” picture

Bering OptiPac 3315 OPT 401 205 HP / IBM Vintage Storage PC Computer 1983 3.5”

$100.00



Vintage Computer Sun Ultra 1 UltraSpark Driven - Mystery condition as-is Parts picture

Vintage Computer Sun Ultra 1 UltraSpark Driven - Mystery condition as-is Parts

$49.78



Vintage 1977  Cromemco 16KPR (16 KPR)  S-100  Computer Board picture

Vintage 1977 Cromemco 16KPR (16 KPR) S-100 Computer Board

$199.99



Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used picture

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used

$55.99



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP

$299.99