Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Ndiswrapper USB Live-CD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5

    Ndiswrapper USB Live-CD

    Hi all,
    I just want to know if I should spend any effort trying to connect to the internet via a USB wireless adapter (Netgear MA111) if I am running from the LiveCD (Knoppix 3.9).
    When I tried the first step and did
    modprobe ndiswrapper
    I got the following
    FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.11/misc/ndispwrapper.ko): Operation not permitted

    My guess was that my harddisk is write protected that is why I got this message.

    The HDD has a non-working version of Win2K on it plus a bunch of files which I am not ready to discard just yet, so I don't know if making the Hard Disk readable would cause any damage to existing data on it.

    Any directions from this point forward would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5
    Hi all,
    Sorry to reply to my own question. But on re-reading it, I thought perhaps it was not phrased right.

    What I should have asked is
    a) Does Knoppix 3.9 come with the right ndiswrapper drivers for the NetGear MA111 wireless USB card? Not sure where I would find the answer to this, I looked around.
    b) If I choose to run Knoppix from the CD how would I install these drivers? (Since modprobe gives me that error message)

    b1) Am I having difficulty because by default the live CD makes the hard disk "read-only"?

    b2) Can I still install the drivers by removing the read-only property of the hard disk?

    b3) If I do that, will Knoppix be able to write to the hard disk w/o ruining whatever might there on the hard disk?

    Thanks

Similar Threads

  1. How to use ndiswrapper
    By 2k3autococker in forum Networking
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 03-03-2007, 08:20 AM
  2. NDiswrapper on 5.1.1
    By Protocol in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-21-2007, 03:05 AM
  3. 'modprobe ndiswrapper' cannot find ndiswrapper module
    By Kaishain in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-04-2006, 11:16 AM
  4. ndiswrapper
    By giant_toaster in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-23-2005, 09:09 AM
  5. apt-get & ndiswrapper
    By cyph3r in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-25-2004, 08:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD picture

HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD

$249.00



DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS picture

DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS

$99.99



HP ZBook Firefly 14

HP ZBook Firefly 14" G8 Mobile Workstation i5 11th Gen 16GB RAM 256 GB SSD No AC

$166.49



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



HP EliteBook 850 G6 15.6

HP EliteBook 850 G6 15.6" Core i5-8265U 1.60GHz 8GB RAM AMD Lexa GPU PWR Adapter

$120.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked picture

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked

$79.99



Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11 picture

Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11

$89.99



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99