Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: How do I change window managers

  1. #1
    winowman
    Guest

    How do I change window managers

    I have hd installed and would like to change window managers due to lack of alot of memory on a system I am using it on. but I wanna be able to change window managers often.. not edit some file could anyone tell me how to load a lower memory hungry manager....?? that will still let my wine stuff work.. (some of my window programs need more memory too )

  2. #2
    Guest
    use kdm

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    100

    change w/m

    If you are booting the cd and not on a hdd install of Knoppix try hitting F2 at bootup and typing in a cheatcode to start another window manager besides Kde.I use fluxbox but recomend that you try icewm.At the boot prompt try typing "knoppix desktop=icewm" then hit ENTER.

  4. #4
    winowman
    Guest

    KDM

    So once my linux boots up and I login and am at my promp

    instead of " startx " I would type " KDM "?!

  5. #5
    winoman
    Guest

    not WORKING!@#$

    KDM..

    Ok.. I know that there is a graphical kdm but I made mine boot without graphical login. so I login what is it I type to change window manager?!!

    Or

    What config file do I have to modifiy to make a difrent window manager Come up?!

  6. #6
    Member registered user tuxtom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    hamburg.de
    Posts
    32
    Try startx -e icewm (or your preferred wm)

    tom

Similar Threads

  1. Switching window managers/desktop environments
    By RoyalMail in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-05-2004, 12:34 PM
  2. how to change window manager (fluxbox instead of KDE)
    By net_benjo in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-03-2004, 07:19 PM
  3. no window managers ...? more questions too
    By DimGR in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-25-2004, 05:41 PM
  4. change window manager
    By neotheonlyone in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-07-2003, 03:15 AM
  5. Screen resolution problem is independent of window managers
    By Dan Connell in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-04-2003, 12:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Desktop Processor (4.7GHz, 8 Cores, Socket AM4)  picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Desktop Processor (4.7GHz, 8 Cores, Socket AM4)

$150.00



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590 picture

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590

$129.00