-
Booting from ISO installed on USB stick
I realize that this topic has been brought up before, but I'm not sure if anyone is trying to do this without having another OS on a separate hard drive installed in their machine. I have been through every post in this thread: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796 and haven't really found anything that definitively says it will or won't work.
I'm trying to boot from a 3.8.2 ISO image installed on a USB stick attached to a machine that has no internal HD or CDROM. I've downloaded several sets of grub files and whatnot, but have been unable to find a clear explanation or walkthrough of what needs to on the USB stick and how it needs to be modified to point to the ISO on the stick, rather than an ISO on an interal drive. I have found that the stick is recognized by the machine at boot, so at least I'm over that hurdle, but I'm wondering if what I'm trying to do is even possible.
Does anyone know?
Vortex
-
well, from my limited experience with linux, anything seem possible.
-
Senior Member
registered user
There is some information on this topic in the English Kanotix Wiki (http://kanotix.com). But maybe it is a simpler and more flexible solution to boot your diskless computer over the network, using the Knoppix terminal server script.
Similar Threads
-
By Atrainjenkins in forum Laptops
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-05-2009, 11:44 AM
-
By davman1971 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-08-2005, 02:28 AM
-
By jjanderson5 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-28-2005, 03:27 AM
-
By pallendo in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-15-2004, 08:52 PM
-
By kabs in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-28-2003, 08:20 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4
$39.00

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s
$78.00

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99