Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: I just had to do this: Thank you knoppix guy

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3

    I just had to do this: Thank you knoppix guy

    A million thanks to Mr Knopper for coming up with knoppix. A story is coming....

    I managed by sheer tempting of Murphy's law to get my laptop's LCD (Sony vaio K13) crushed by a sliding door. Saw a site on the net which offered cheaper (~$300) LCD compared to what Sony was asking for (~$750). Installed it only to see that the display was dark. The LCD guys were clueless and I lost patience. When you boot the computer, during boot screen display is bright but once you enter X it suddenly goes dark. I thought this is not some backlight problem and more $$$s out of my pocket. Downloaded many drivers from net and tried.. still the same dark screen. Tried many other Linux versions, only to get acquainted with linux. Then comes the latest version of knoppix (3.9). Put the CD in, booted and tada, the display remains bright. Installed it to hard drive and am writing this appreciation staring at the same bright display..

    This was a bit freaky. It appears that there is a demon sitting on the knoppix installer, who by the way is much brighter than many tech support people, sorting out what works and what works not, make decisions and do an optimal trouble shooting and installation in 15 mts. Just crazy...Spent some time thinking about the brain of the guy behind this demon and felt I had to write a note of appreciation here... Thank you!!!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3
    An update on the earlier post. If any of you guys face the same problem as I did, you may use this solution. After some experimentation I saw that knoppix was keeping my display bright after booting because of the use of noapci option during boot. The same thing can be done in windows by going to: Right click my computer-> Hardware->Device Manager-> Computer: If acpi is enabled disable it by right clicking on it and choose standard PC. You may need to reinstall the graphics card drivers and so on. And you get the display to stay bright even after the boot.

    Now I have best of both worlds in a dual boot system. The ease of windows and the possibilities of knoppix. Feel Lucky to have come across knoppix and being able to do some troubleshooting on my own for once.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    In a house... hopefully
    Posts
    554
    how the heck did your screen door crush your laptop???

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sydney/Australia
    Posts
    311
    >>
    I saw that knoppix was keeping my display bright after booting because of the use of noapci option during boot.
    >>

    By that do you mean that if you didn't use that cli parameter, you would get a dark screen ?

    I have heard that LCD displays can be very specific in the "modeline" setting in X. That is, the h/v resolutions, the gate ticks, refresh rates, etc, used


    jm


    jm

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3
    How I broke my LCD screen is a long story...

    I went to our university library..the book stacks there have for space saving purposes electrically operated stacks.. by pressing a switch you can move them... while standing in between two such stacks, I felt for the first time my laptop was too heavy..decided to keep my backpack on the floor...on realising the book was in the next stack and not realising that my laptop was on the floor I walked out, pressed the switch, closed the stacks, crushed my laptop, broke its LCD screen, lost $300 for repair, learned linux and knoppix, learned how to troubleshoot problems with your computer by spending some time on it and came out richer in experience and poorer in pocket.


    I am not sure what cli parameters are..I used different booting options with knoppix. It seemed to work fine when I had the noacpi option. If that was not used the display remained bright till kdm was launched and searching for peripherals step was being performed. During this step the display suddenly went dark...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox

$620.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00