Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: CUPS Problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3

    CUPS Problem

    Linux newbie running a HDD install of Knoppix 3.2.
    I get the following error when starting the KDE printing manager:
    Unable to retrieve the printer list. Error message received from manager:
    Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is correctly installed and running. Error: the IPP request failed for an unknown reason.

    When I try to browse http://localhost:631 I get the following error:
    Forbidden You don't have permission to access the resource on this server.

    Running "/etc/init.d/cupsys start" gives the following response:
    Starting CUPSys: cupsdcupsd: Child exited with status 98!
    .
    I have done an apt-get upgrade but it didn't help. I'm logged on as root.

    Can anyone offer any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3
    Well I rebooted and now when I run "/etc/init.d/cupsys start" I get:
    Starting CUPSys:
    with no error messages. However I still get the other errors.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    252
    Use the shortcut from K=>Knoppix=>Configure=>Configure Printer.

    If this doesn't work ,copy this shortcut to your desktop and add 'sudo ' before the commandline in the 'execute' tab.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3
    I no longer have a 'Knoppix' entry on my start menu, it disappeared when I did the HDD install. What does the 'Configure Printer' shortcut point to?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3
    Taking a quick look in the KDE Menu Editor, it points to /usr/sbin/cupsconfig.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Posts
    3
    /usr/sbin/cupsconfig gets me the same dialog as Control Center -> System -> Printing Manager on the HD install.
    FYI.

Similar Threads

  1. HP LaserJet 5L and Cups
    By HomerCube in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 11:38 AM
  2. lexmark printer problem under CUPS
    By help_seeker in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 05:31 PM
  3. Can't get CUPS to work
    By Razor-X in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-16-2004, 06:09 AM
  4. CUPS Problem
    By RE Dude in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-02-2003, 12:24 PM
  5. KATE and CUPS?
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-14-2003, 02:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series picture

ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series

$235.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$71.49



Asus Prime B660M-A AC D4 Motherboard Intel LGA 1700 14th 13th 12th Gen DDR4 picture

Asus Prime B660M-A AC D4 Motherboard Intel LGA 1700 14th 13th 12th Gen DDR4

$79.99



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Motherboard picture

Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Motherboard

$54.99