Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: attempting new install of 3.9 on Compaq workstation

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    4

    attempting new install of 3.9 on Compaq workstation

    I am brand new to Linux . This is my first introduction ever. I have an old Compaq workstation , not sure what model. I am running windows XP and am attempting to install Knoppix linux 3.9. when I get a few min into the boot up from the cd I get a msg about pressing the space bar, then it does some things and then the monitor goes "nuts" I get a bunch of color lines . I tried several monitors and they all do the same thing. Is this a Bios issue? Can anyone offer some advise

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    You mention that you intend to install Knoppix 3.9 to the HD but then mention the problems while booting up.
    First, lets clear up the booting/hardware issues & then decide if you want to install Knoppix 3.9.

    Knoppix boots with a splash screen. At that splash screen you can enter codes which will force Knoppix to do certain things. Theses codes are known as Cheat Codes. You may need to enter some codes that allow it to make sure of your system's hardware. You may need to boot it with:
    knoppix vga=normal screen=800x600 xvrefresh=60

    Also, we need more info. Look at your request for help from my point of view: I have no idea what your system is like. Is it s laptop? A server? A desktop? On what hardware? Pentium4-3.0GHz? Pentium3 700Mhz? Beside the strange lines & graphics problems, are there any error messages?

    We need more into to help you.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    4
    I have a p3 1000mhz desktop w256k ram 18.6gig hd, It came w/windows 2000 pro, I upraded to xp.
    I want to load linux 3.9 and use that instead of xp.
    I boot from cd ( to install operating system) and after given the video choises I hit the space key then it looks like it looks for kb, cd ext....
    Then the next thing I know the screen goes "nuts".

    I have only ever had experience with windows . Am I installing linux correctly?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    4
    I took the option (cheat code ) 1 and I got part that but eventually the install stops and i gat a mesege about card not recognized.

    Is their a ref I can look on how to install Linux for a newbe like me? Any links to such a place would be great

Similar Threads

  1. Attempting to repair xp
    By marmeduke in forum General Support
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-29-2010, 07:14 AM
  2. How to install Parallels Workstation in Knoppix 5.1
    By wijaya in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-27-2007, 09:57 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-15-2006, 09:03 AM
  4. Apt Hangs when attempting upgrade
    By shane25119 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-16-2004, 07:53 PM
  5. Attempting to install Debian Sarge: A tale of woe
    By eco2geek in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-19-2004, 01:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS picture

Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS

$49.99



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$229.99



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00