Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: find files ... doesn't find files

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8

    find files ... doesn't find files

    Hi,
    I am searching on a Windows hard drive while running knoppix ..
    The Linux find files utility does not find files ...for example .. if I search for inbox* ...while choosing to search down through the folders .. I know its there ... I can navigate to it .. but the find utility does not find it ... maybe there is some trick someone can advise me of .....

    actually I remember this apparent flaw from years ago when I dabbled with Red Hat Linux ...

    please advise
    cheers
    max

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    So assuming that /mnt/hda1 is your C: drive, what is the result of:
    find /mnt/hda1 -iname 'inbox*'

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderScore
    So assuming that /mnt/hda1 is your C: drive, what is the result of:
    find /mnt/hda1 -iname 'inbox*'
    find /mnt/hda1: no such file or directory

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by maxpower
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderScore
    So assuming that /mnt/hda1 is your C: drive, what is the result of:
    find /mnt/hda1 -iname 'inbox*'
    find /mnt/hda1: no such file or directory
    I get I assumed too much.

    Is your windows partition mounted? Knoppix will not automatically mount the other partitions as a security feature. If so then point your find command at it's mount point.

    Example on my test machine;
    hda1 C: drive NTFS Windows XP
    hda2 Debian Linux ext3fs
    hda3 swap

    I boot off the Knoppix CD, then in a command line konsole window, I become root user:
    Code:
    su -
    Then I mount the hda1 C: drive:
    Code:
    sudo mount -t ntfs -o ro,users /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
    Then I run my find command (example: I am looking for DLL files.):
    Code:
    find /mnt/hda1 -iname '*.dll'
    This is all if you _want_ to run commands. In Knoppix, when you boot up, it usually creates icons on the desktop for the other HD partitions. By clicking & running the icons, the partitions will be automatically mounted as read-only and you will be able to use the GUI file manager to locate files and/or still run the find commands.
    I hope this helps.
    James

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8
    Yes it is mounted .. hda1 automatically mounts when I click the icon on the desktop
    Before I tried your console command ... I was using the find utility invoked from tools menu in the window view ... the result was the same ... no file found ..actually there is no such message in the window

    I did not try as root.. only Knoppix user .... should I try this? .. the other thing I can try is making the drive writeable .. although this is not really logical

    can you find your inbox on your windows drive??

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8
    Got it ... I had to make the drive writable .. now I can find files
    thanks for your help
    max

Similar Threads

  1. Cant seem to find all my files.
    By Callopski in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-31-2008, 11:41 PM
  2. How to find Files etc on crashed XP OS system
    By BamBamKnoppix in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-31-2005, 07:12 AM
  3. 3.6: Installer hangs/can't find files/errors reading CD
    By muzicman82 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-05-2004, 04:57 AM
  4. Where to find .deb files to rebuild Knoppix?
    By tinmith in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-21-2004, 11:48 PM
  5. kdecelop cannot find the Qt documents and CANNOT new files?
    By zhouxuan37 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2003, 03:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$205.00



CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B,  SKU 16188 picture

CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188

$24.94



Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch

$69.99



Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module picture

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module

$30.00



Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G picture

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G

$75.00



CISCO INDUSTRIAL SWITCH IE-3100-8T2C-E New  picture

CISCO INDUSTRIAL SWITCH IE-3100-8T2C-E New

$1049.00